alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Dropped spool
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
July 15, 2019, 08:49:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dropped spool  (Read 211 times)
Mjg378

« on: July 09, 2019, 06:21:23 PM »

I had a lot of trouble unscrewing the drag cover on a penn 30vsx. I spent a Lot of time trying to get the cover off.  I rolled the edges of the slots using the Penn tool trying to get it apart.   Finally I cut an edge off on each side of the drag cover and put it in a vise with a rubber strap protecting the spool. I was able to get a grip with a rather “large” adjustable pliers and unscrew the cover   All was well, took it all apart.   The  only thing I would need to buy is a new 5$ drag cover........Then....
I bobbled the spool and dropped it. 
My question to you all is did I ruin the spool. It’s a very minor dent.  Will this be need to be replaced. I would think it shouldn’t be a problem, but I Wanted to check. Any body else have this happen.  Did it make a difference or cause any problems down the road.     I have two pictures included.  I can take more if needed.   
Thanks in advance! 
Mike

* 3845C081-91D0-4D80-935F-1206D01C3191.jpeg (346.31 KB, 1536x2048 - viewed 9 times.)

* CC8BEEC1-6182-4DC2-82BC-C421B0F1A0A0.jpeg (284.56 KB, 1536x2048 - viewed 8 times.)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 07:15:16 PM by Mjg378 » Logged
foakes

Sierra National Forest

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 08:58:03 PM »

It appears to be no problem from this end of the internets...

If I get these like this — a very fine jewelers file to flush the ding back to square, along with some 600 Emory paper — should do it.

These are strong spools — and the spot will not show when you are done — or very little.

Should work perfect.

Best,

Fred

“A Smooth Sea Never Made a Skillful Sailor”.

There are ten reasons to consider when choosing your next fishing reel.

The first is to pick a reel you like — The other nine reasons don’t matter.
Mjg378

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 03:01:40 AM »

Fred,
  Thank you very much!   Amazing the technical assistance available here on Alan’s site.  Allows a hobbiest like me to work on any fishing reel and have 100% confidence my gear (especially when you mess something up).  Thanks again Fred!   Thank you Alan for this site. 
Mike
alantani
admin
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 10:08:53 PM »

you should be fine.  been there......   Undecided

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!
Cor
Cape Town

I am probably fishing......

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 11:24:53 PM »

It appears to be no problem from this end of the internets...

If I get these like this — a very fine jewelers file to flush the ding back to square, along with some 600 Emory paper — should do it.

These are strong spools — and the spot will not show when you are done — or very little.

Should work perfect.

Best,

Fred
Agreed!   

Some reel spools are very soft and I twice dropped my Tranx spools on to my workbench, maybe <18 inches resulting in dents.   Minimal repair with a file and some water paper and your fine to go.

I would hate to see what a drop on to the floor would do $$$

Cornelis
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: