Penn Senator questions

Started by Leckbass, July 11, 2019, 11:22:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leckbass

I have a 4/0 black senator and a 4/0 red special senator for years more like decades...  I recently acquired another pair of black senators and a pair of specials as well. 

I want to change the drags as they have been in lockdown mode for I don't know how long. Can I just change the fiber washers of do I need to change the metals too?

RowdyW

Welcome to the forum & to our family. If you have the old style drags in the 113H's(3 asbestos brake linings) the new style drags are 5  carbon fiber discs. I would recomend replaceing them as a set with the metals. If the black 113's have red or leather like washers you can replace them with 6-113 CF washers. If you want a little more drag out of the black 113 then get 5 of 6-60 CF washers & 1 extra eared & 1 extra keyed washer for a 5 disc drag setup. It's time to modernize them & bring them up to date. Check in with Mo at Mystic Reel Parts for your Penn needs.        Rudy

Bryan Young

Quote from: Leckbass on July 11, 2019, 11:22:03 PM
I have a 4/0 black senator and a 4/0 red special senator for years more like decades...  I recently acquired another pair of black senators and a pair of specials as well. 

I want to change the drags as they have been in lockdown mode for I don't know how long. Can I just change the fiber washers of do I need to change the metals too?

I would recommend to just change the fiber and metal washers.  The kits are cheap enough and the kit cost is sometimes cheaper than just buying the fiber washers.

Please note that when I say fiber washers, I am referring to Penn's HT-100 or SmoothDrag's Carbontex carbon fiber washers.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Leckbass

Quote from: RowdyW on July 11, 2019, 11:42:26 PM
Welcome to the forum & to our family. If you have the old style drags in the 113H's(3 asbestos brake linings) the new style drags are 5  carbon fiber discs. I would recomend replaceing them as a set with the metals. If the black 113's have red or leather like washers you can replace them with 6-113 CF washers. If you want a little more drag out of the black 113 then get 5 of 6-60 CF washers & 1 extra eared & 1 extra keyed washer for a 5 disc drag setup. It's time to modernize them & bring them up to date. Check in with Mo at Mystic Reel Parts for your Penn needs.        Rudy

So I can go from a 3 washer drag to a 5 washer drag on the black senator? Are the 6-60 CF washers thinner than the regular washers?

Leckbass

Quote from: Bryan Young on July 11, 2019, 11:55:02 PM
Quote from: Leckbass on July 11, 2019, 11:22:03 PM

I would recommend to just change the fiber and metal washers.  The kits are cheap enough and the kit cost is sometimes cheaper than just buying the fiber washers.

Please note that when I say fiber washers, I am referring to Penn's HT-100 or SmoothDrag's Carbontex carbon fiber washers.

Ok thanks, I think I'm going to go with the kit for the 113H red senators

RowdyW

Quote from: Leckbass on July 12, 2019, 01:18:55 AM
Quote from: RowdyW on July 11, 2019, 11:42:26 PM

So I can go from a 3 washer drag to a 5 washer drag on the black senator? Are the 6-60 CF washers thinner than the regular washers?
Yes, that's why you can get 2 more CF & metal washers in there. You might have to shorten the spacer a little bit with a file or a touch in a grinding wheel.

Leckbass

I stopped by Mystic today and  picked up the new set of drag washers for a 5 washer setup on the black senator. 

Can you please post the correct order for the new set on the black senotor?

I know you mentioned grinding down the spacer, but I also picked up a slightly shorter soacer.

RowdyW

CF,Keyed,CF,eared,CF,Kyed,CF,eared,CF,Keyed,wave washer,spacer,wave washer,star wheel,handle,handle screw.

Leckbass

Quote from: RowdyW on July 14, 2019, 01:51:35 AM
CF,Keyed,CF,eared,CF,Kyed,CF,eared,CF,Keyed,wave washer,spacer,wave washer,star wheel,handle,handle screw.

Thank you!

RowdyW

Don't forget to give the CF washers a coat of Cals drag grease.

Leckbass