Heddon 212

Started by festus, September 14, 2019, 03:28:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

I bought this Heddon 212 because it was in good shape and cheap, plus out of curiosity to see what's inside.  Basically just an overgrown Heddon 222, and its little brother the 238.  Still can't figure out their numbering schemes. It was in good shape mechanically and most average fishermen would have fished it as it came out of the box.

This may have possibly been the original grease, if so, this reel probably hadn't seen much use.  

As most Heddons, this one has right hand threads.  12 mm nut on this model.

No bearings in this one, it has 3 washers on the outside of the pinion.

It cleaned up easily.  The bail functioned very well so l left it alone.

No need to fully disassemble the anti-reverse assembly, but l cleaned up the dog and spring.

Thought I'd use Penn grease for a change instead of Superlube.

Dab of grease onto the bail trip stud.

Again, it doesn't take much effort to service these very simple reels.  Specs say it has a line capacity of 200 yds of 15 lb mono.  Weighs 14.5 oz on my scales with an empty spool.  There are about half a dozen more Heddons l'd like to get ahold of but they're either scarce, overpriced, or in bad condition.  I'm not particularly fond of whatever metal the handles are made from, but hey, they're so inexpensive and sharp looking it doesn't matter.

Crow

Good write-up....and a neat reel !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

mo65

That is the first time I've seen a 212...saw a 204 a few days ago...they had a lot of models. You must have a huge collection of Heddons by now Chester, thanks for sharing! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Donnyboat

Nice work Chester, thanks for showing us, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

happyhooker

Nice post; good pics.  The 222 has the same style handle, and I find the finger pad about the most comfortable (for me) to use.

Frank

Midway Tommy

Well done, Chester! Another feather in your Heddon Hat.  :)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)