Heddon 235 and 236

Started by festus, July 12, 2019, 01:06:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

This Heddon 235 came with a couple NIB spare spools.  It's almost identical to a Heddon 236 Swami sent me several months ago.  Only difference I see is the handle knob.  The 235 has a torpedo knob, the 236 has a scalloped type knob.

The reel was in pretty good shape as it arrived, a little dirty on the outside and the bail was just a wee bit sluggish, but it was definitely fishable.

Yep, looks the same inside as the Heddon 236, which BTW I never got a full look through posted.

There is a c-clip fastening the pinion to the rotor barely visible through that gooey grease.

Only two washers in this reel, this one under the main gear and another tiny on the bail.

The anti-reverse assembly was a little dirty, so I partially disassembled it.

The bail assembly needed a little work so I took it completely apart.

This reel wasn't too dirty and cleaned up very easily.  The smaller metal parts and gears were bathed in lacquer thinner, and the rotor, side plate, housing and spool got a good scrubbing with orange citrus Purple Power foaming cleaner.

The reassembled and freshly lubricated anti-reverse assembly.

Bail assembly reassembled--works good as new now.

A big old fat felt washer with a metal washer and wire retainer is all their is to the drag assembly.

Little bit of scoring on there so I laid the Super Lube on thick.

A better look at the c-clip in place.

The axle got lubed with Ardent Reel Oil.

Almost finished.

These reels are near the lower end of the Heddon scale, built very simply but will be adequate for novice fishermen or panfish and b@$$ less than five pounds. Of the Heddons I've serviced, the 215 might be the bottom of the barrel, even smaller than these reels and it has no line roller on the bail.  This 235 weighs 7.34 oz on my scales and according to Heddon archives has a line capacity of 200 yds of 6 lb mono.  The spool diameter is wide enough to accomodate 8 lb, or even as high as 10 lb mono.  It should cast very well with 4 lb mono, but I wouldn't trust the drag to spool 2 lb mono unless maybe fishing for creek chubs and shiners. 

happyhooker

Nice look at a long forgotten reel.

Frank

Crow

Good write up !   Thanks !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

mo65

I bet the lucky kid who found one of those under the Christmas tree was ecstatic. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~