Pitted spool on a black senator

Started by Leckbass, July 12, 2019, 02:58:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leckbass

I have an extra senator 4/0 spool that is pitted, I was thinking about filling the spots with some 2 part epoxy, sanding smooth, the a few light coats of spray paint. 

I'm open to suggestions.

Tightlines667

I have searched this online and basically found a few suggestions/recomendations, but I am nit sure of the difficulty/cost feasability of them.

1). Sometimes the pits can be salvaged (filled) with silver solder and ground & polished only afterwards, if it is steel, brass, or bronze. It needs effort of course.

2)Remove all chrome with sandpaper, smooth pits, polish, have an electroplator plate part to specs focusing first on filling pits.  Likely expensive and might be tough to find someone willing to put in the extra effort.

3)Sand/smooth out pits, remove corrosion, paint, anodize, finish, cerakote, or powder coat part.. or just skip it, wax and use.

4) Use epoxy mixed with metal shavings or similar metal filling product to fill holes, sand finish (or not) wax and use.

Just some thoughts.  I havn't done anything other than sanding/treating corrosion and waxing before continuing to use.. or replace when really bad.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

George6308

I had a price of $50 USC for replateing  a Penn 4/0 bronze spool from a Crome plating company here in Philadelphia and the spool had no pits to be filled in. A new spool proved to be cheaper.

RowdyW

And go for an aluminum spool & lighten up the load considerably.

oc1

The epoxy and paint will not last.  If you sand out the pits there will not be much metal left.  Brazing with brass or silver solder to fill the pits and then milling down the surface will work.  That's what a machine shop would do if it was an expensive shaft or something.  But, unless it's DIY the cost will be more than a new spool.

Despite the looks, the spool is perfectly usable as-is.
-steve

Benni3

Quote from: RowdyW on July 12, 2019, 04:32:01 AM
x2,,,,,it's a world of difference,,,,,,,, ;D

Leckbass

I do have a spare aluminum spool, but it seems like the shaft is a little bit longer on the aluminum spool. Must be for the red senator.

Maybe I'll just use it with stainless wire for trolling

thorhammer

Degrease spool with solvent, then wipe with alcohol. I'd use JB before epoxy. I've painted one spool that had been bead blasted- I use Tractor Supply Farm Implement epoxy for that. The stuff holds up well on axes and shovels so for limited purpose I expect it will hold under fishing line. Not the best solution but most economical- and if one drops or slams a thousand-dollar Accurate twin drag, that anodize will ding too....

If you have an old toaster, bake it at 150 for awhile to cure but do so outdoors. Otherwise set it in hot sun helps- longer the better to really cure it between a couple coats.

Yes, aluminum spool is an upgrade but you can find another used 113 for about the cost of that spool.  

John

foakes

Quote from: oc1 on July 12, 2019, 05:21:26 AM
Despite the looks, the spool is perfectly usable as-is.
-steve

Yes, and most of it won't show when you have line on the spool.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Crow

If the "pits" aren't rough enough to possibly damage the line, I'd just "fish it", and spend my money on a stainless gear sleeve, and better drags. As Fred mentioned, you won't see much of it, when it's filled, anyway. Any pre -line treatment....wax, grease,...whatever, and good reel cleaning after use, will keep the corrosion to a minimum.
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Decker

Quote from: Leckbass on July 12, 2019, 11:01:44 AM

I do have a spare aluminum spool, but it seems like the shaft is a little bit longer on the aluminum spool. Must be for the red senator.

Maybe I'll just use it with stainless wire for trolling

As far as I know, there is no aluminum spool for the 113, black Senator.  Yes, the 113H has the longer shaft.

This brings to mind the "Grouper Special" which is a narrowed 113 blackie, that uses a 66 stainless spool.   If you're into tinkering, it's a cool project.  There's are even options for the gears and drags that do not require custom parts.   

RowdyW

29L-113 is a black aluminum spool for a black plated 113 4/0            Rudy

Alto Mare

Quote from: Crow on July 12, 2019, 04:28:36 PM
   If the "pits" aren't rough enough to possibly damage the line, I'd just "fish it", and spend my money on a stainless gear sleeve, and better drags. As Fred mentioned, you won't see much of it, when it's filled, anyway. Any pre -line treatment....wax, grease,...whatever, and good reel cleaning after use, will keep the corrosion to a minimum.
Yup! ... my thoughts exactly...

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Donnyboat

If your going to fish with it, I wood make sure you get all of the vertagus & patana, out of it, the spin it in a drill, using wet n dry cloth, to smooth it of, the place some marine grease on it, & fill it up with line, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

RowdyW

A soak in white vinegar will get rid of the corrosion that's deep in the pits. Then a coat of clear lacquer from a rattle can & then wax it with a paste wax not a liquid polish. JMO