Pitted spool on a black senator

Started by Leckbass, July 12, 2019, 02:58:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

I agree with several others about just use as is with some grease or wax on it, but you gotta test it to see if it's gonna nick your line, first. How to? I own't know for sure. Pull alla line off under drag pressure?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

foakes

Old timers always taught me to test spools and rod line guides for burrs or nicks this way —

Soak the spool with vinegar overnight to arrest and stop the corrosive action of the Verdigris.

Spin the spool in the reel by hand — or hooked up to a line winder machine.

Apply 600 grit emory paper to the spool to smooth out any rough craters.

Clean the spool in warm water, dry it completely.

Use a woman's stocking to run it over the spool to detect if there are any places that might catch the line.

This also works on rod line guides.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Leckbass

Quote from: RowdyW on July 12, 2019, 11:45:13 PM
A soak in white vinegar will get rid of the corrosion that's deep in the pits. Then a coat of clear lacquer from a rattle can & then wax it with a paste wax not a liquid polish. JMO

I already soaked it in CLR, cleaned it up pretty good.  I think I'll give the spray lacquer a try on my spare spool

kmstorm64

Quote from: Gfish on July 13, 2019, 12:06:24 AM
I agree with several others about just use as is with some grease or wax on it, but you gotta test it to see if it's gonna nick your line, first. How to? I own't know for sure. Pull alla line off under drag pressure?

Easier than that, use an old pair of pantyhose, they will catch on almost anything.
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

Ron Jones

For the uninitiated, stocking and pantyhose are very similar garments.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Bill B

Clean it up, test as described above, and fish it.....or replace......this is a workhorse reel and "pretty" does not catch any more fish....JMO.   Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

mo65

You gotta look at it like this...the spool is already hit...what do you have to loose? Sand it well with 320-600 and spray on a quality paint. If it comes off then pursue other options, but I gotta tell ya, I sprayed this 3/0N spool a few years ago and it's been fished a few times with no loss. It was aluminum though, maybe that works better? 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Leckbass

Quote from: mo65 on July 25, 2019, 08:53:03 PM
  You gotta look at it like this...the spool is already hit...what do you have to loose? Sand it well with 320-600 and spray on a quality paint. If it comes off then pursue other options, but I gotta tell ya, I sprayed this 3/0N spool a few years ago and it's been fished a few times with no loss. It was aluminum though, maybe that works better? 8)

looks great to me!  What paint did you use?

ez2cdave

mo65

George6308

Mo when you spray painted the spool did you use any type of primer? Reel looks good all dressed up an ready for thr prom!

mo65

Quote from: George6308 on August 17, 2019, 07:25:43 PM
Mo when you spray painted the spool did you use any type of primer? Reel looks good all dressed up an ready for the prom!

All I did was wash the spool with soap and water, then wet sand with 320. Then wiped completely clean with alcohol and a cotton ball. Just two coats...about a half hour apart.