Screw heads snapped off, remainder in frame

Started by tincanary, July 13, 2019, 09:56:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tincanary

Got another reel in the mail today and two of the left side plate screws looked to be missing at first.  Upon closer inspection, I noticed the screws were in there, just the heads snapped off.  The remaining part of the screws are in there about 2mm deep.  Any hope extracting those or should I just find another frame?  It's on an Abu 5500 HCL I got on eBay for $15.  Other than that, the reel is in great shape.  What are my options?

alantani

remove everything from the frame and torch it for about 20 seconds.  that should cook the corrosion enough that the screw stud might easily coax out. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

tincanary

Any tips on what to use after I heat it up? The screw is down in the there a bit. 

GulfOfBothnia

I had once somewhat similar case. Without heating I just put a small flat screwdriver into the hole and the screw remain came out nicely when rotating screwdriver anti-clockwise.

alantani

Torch it till it glows, hit it with some freeze off, reach in with a tiny flat screwdriver and keep your fingers crossed.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Reelmeneer

A very steady hand and a dremel will help. Use a very, very thin drill. I had this problem on a 4601 and managed to get the screw out without damaging the thread...

Good luck!

Regards,

Ed

George6308

If you have to drill out the broken screws reverse your drill and use left handed drills bits.  McMaster has them as should any well stocked industrial supply house.