What reel would you recommend?

Started by rippin_lips, July 13, 2019, 11:52:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rippin_lips

So here's the situation......I occasionally get to go snapper and/or grouper fishing on the east coast of Florida. My style of fishing is to crank the drag down as tight as you can and hang on till your arms are sore and dont let the snapper/grouper rock you up. We fish on the bottom in the rocks and you cant give up an inch or you're in the rocks. I use 80-100 braid with like 80 leader and rarely but occasionally break off but usually I'm thumbing the drag even when its locked down.

My 2 combos ive been using are the following:  A pro gear 541 with upgraded smoothdrag washers and an extra metal washer, on a daiwa sealine 6'6 heavy with 80 lb braid. And a custom penn 113h tiburon frame/spool with cortez sideplates with carbon drag 100 lb braid on a 6'6 shimano terez xtra heavy. Both work well and I've cranked up some slobs on the pro gear.

I want to get a little more drag So I dont have to thumb the spool and I can get to cranking. So what would you recommend?
1. Install upgraded parts, new stainless parts and maybe drag insert?
2. Recommend a more capable stock reel with more drag?

mo65

I'd say moving up to this 7-stack kit should give you a bit more power on top. 8)

https://www.mysticparts.com/CustomParts/UltimateUpgrades/UU-PENN113H.aspx
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Swami805

On the 113H get the gears,bridge etc.from pro challenger. Might also check out a penn Baja special, those are around used, so mucho bang for your buck. Next step would be one of the many 2 speeds available with crazy heavy drags, low gear would be a big benefit initially in that situation.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Benni3

Where about,,,,,, :D I have fished out of fort pierce alot,,,,headboat lady stuart,,,I run 113h 80lb braid,, ht-100,,,, ;) 4.1 gears,,,,no problems,,,,,, ;D

Cor

You can try using the older Smoothdrag, smoothy type drag washers.    Use them dry, they work fine and are easier to "lock up" should you want to do so.

I use them for shore based Yellowtail and prefer them to supper slippery greased washers.

Reasons are similar to yours.
Cornelis

rippin_lips

Quote from: Benni3 on July 14, 2019, 05:54:52 AM
Where about,,,,,, :D I have fished out of fort pierce alot,,,,headboat lady stuart,,,I run 113h 80lb braid,, ht-100,,,, ;) 4.1 gears,,,,no problems,,,,,, ;D

I fish out of sebastian inlet. For most fish yes it's no problem I just landed a big red snapper on my pro gear, but we get some bruisers a big snapper or gag grouper will test your gear. I'm just looking for a little more drag so I dont have to take my hand off the handle to thumb the spool if they run for a cave or try to get under a rock.

Benni3

Quote from: rippin_lips on July 14, 2019, 11:46:06 AM
Quote from: Benni3 on July 14, 2019, 05:54:52 AM

I fish out of sebastian inlet. For most fish yes it's no problem I just landed a big red snapper on my pro gear, but we get some bruisers a big snapper or gag grouper will test your gear. I'm just looking for a little more drag so I dont have to take my hand off the handle to thumb the spool if they run for a cave or try to get under a rock.
mo's right drag washers,,,,, :D I love to check out the bait and tackle and pawn shops down there like de brooks and snook hook,,,,,,, ;) get some live shrimp and fish right off the bridge for red drum,,,,,,, ;D

boon

Makaira 15T SEA.

The 2-speed won't hurt things either.

If you're not fishing on a party boat, I'd get a short, bent-butt stand-up rod to go with it. You can put a crazy amount of pressure on a fish with these setups.

MarkT

Avet HXJ Raptor with 300 yds of 80# spectra and a top shot of whatever is appropriate. Rated for 40# of drag at strike.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

rippin_lips

Quote from: MarkT on July 14, 2019, 10:32:17 PM
Avet HXJ Raptor with 300 yds of 80# spectra and a top shot of whatever is appropriate. Rated for 40# of drag at strike.

Now that has my attention, 40 lbs at strike is no joke.

Rivverrat

Quote from: rippin_lips on July 15, 2019, 01:01:28 AM

They are very good proven reels. They will make 40 lbs. of drag. However they are I think better fished below 30. They will do OK used with drag at 30 on occasion. Your certainly not going to destroy the reel. Bearings will need to be replaced when seeing regular use at this level. Not an issue for some.   Many like them for lite weight giant tuna killers. The ones I know doing this rebuild their reels replacing bearings after every trip... Jeff

rippin_lips

Quote from: Rivverrat on July 15, 2019, 02:34:05 AM
Quote from: rippin_lips on July 15, 2019, 01:01:28 AM

They are very good proven reels. They will make 40 lbs. of drag. However they are I think better fished below 30. They will do OK used with drag at 30 on occasion. Your certainly not going to destroy the reel. Bearings will need to be replaced when seeing regular use at this level. Not an issue for some.   Many like them for lite weight giant tuna killers. The ones I know doing this rebuild their reels replacing bearings after every trip... Jeff

That's why I tend to stick with star drag reels for situations that need a locked down drag.

Just ordered a stainless double dog bridge with stainless sleeve and a 7-stack drag kit. We'll see what that gets me.

Curious if anyone has tried the accurate twin drag star reel?

Rivverrat

The Acurrate star drag most likely wont do well meeting your expected capability.

I think your headed in a good direction with an upgraded 4/0. Based on what you desire & describe.

Also keep in mind especially if you fishing around Florida. The 4/0 holds a butt load of line. I would encourage you to try fishing a hopped up 4/0  not completely filled with line. Usually easy to do when using spectra.

The gains you will see are well worth it I think.
Which is more cranking power & more drag. All with out adding more stress to the reel.

Only you can decide how much line is needed.
I just know if 300 or 150 yards will get it done I'm not loading 500 yards on the reel in light of the performance gains I get from under spooling a reel of this size.
Its  like cutting off my right arm..... Just makes no sense to me... Jeff

Rivverrat

Also dont forget the other part of this equation which is the rod.
Buy or put together the best reel you can & place it on the wrong rod & you'll have a miserable time making use of what the reel has to offer. This is even more true given your fishing scenario.

As most know I am a huge fan of UC rods. I build on their blanks & fish them my self. There is in my opinion no better rod blank for your type fishing than the United Composites Challenger Platinum. Comes in 5' - 8' models rated for all line classes to 100 lb. line.

This is an extremely fast, very durable blank that you can lean hard on. It has to be fished to fully appreciate & understand. I can safely say there is no other blank like it made by any one... Jeff

rippin_lips

Quote from: Rivverrat on July 16, 2019, 01:20:20 PM
Also dont forget the other part of this equation which is the rod.
Buy or put together the best reel you can & place it on the wrong rod & you'll have a miserable time making use of what the reel has to offer. This is even more true given your fishing scenario.

As most know I am a huge fan of UC rods. I build on their blanks & fish them my self. There is in my opinion no better rod blank for your type fishing than the United Composites Challenger Platinum. Comes in 5' - 8' models rated for all line classes to 100 lb. line.

This is an extremely fast, very durable blank that you can lean hard on. It has to be fished to fully appreciate & understand. I can safely say there is no other blank like it made by any one... Jeff

Any recommendations for a rod builder?