What reel would you recommend?

Started by rippin_lips, July 13, 2019, 11:52:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkT

All 6 of my UC's are factory rods.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Rivverrat

Like Mark said you can get them factory wrapped.

I have also been building rods for a bit now. I believe you get a bit more for not much more money with one of my rods. If for whatever reason your not happy I'll make it right.
There are pics here of some of my builds. PM me if interested... Jeff

Brewcrafter

There are a lot of good points on here!  I took my Tib Frame YTS on it's maiden trip on an 8 day last month and for what its worth, it worked great.  Didn't get "rocked" by any Yellowtail on The Ridge and wasn't fazed at all by a BFT in the 50-80# class (in the interest of transparency, I actually pulled the hook on the BFT after a trip around the boat, but hey, it happens).  Internals are everything you just purchased, along with a 4:1 SS gear set.  It did take some "massaging" to get everything to play nice but hey, that's the nature of customization. 
The slight irony of this, I love my Avet's (had a JX6/3 on this trip) and UC Rods, but none of those were all together in the same combo.  The hotrodded 113H was on an old Fenwick Pacificstik (I couldn't cast it to save my life but it was a BLAST to fish...) - I think you are going to be happy with your setup with the 7 stack.

Benni3

I got this rod and reel in fort pierce for $25 and before I was a member here Scott's bait and tackle put in 4.1 gears  stainless sleeve,,,,new drag,,,aluminum spool,,,,, :D it has a old fiberglass magnuflex rod,,,,, :) it's my favorite pier and headboard rod all the mates like it and so does my girlfriend so I don't get to use it,,, :D but that's ok,,,,,,,, ;D

rippin_lips

Just installed the new double dog bridge and one of the dog springs was getting caught up in the main gear and got all bent out of shape. So now I have a double dog bridge with only 1 working dog. Kind of disappointed to say the least.

Rivverrat

Stuff like that happens. Each time it does it makes you better than before. I know, that dont help much but it is the truth... Jeff

rippin_lips

Quote from: Rivverrat on July 18, 2019, 01:26:00 AM
Stuff like that happens. Each time it does it makes you better than before. I know, that dont help much but it is the truth... Jeff

Well, managed to make a new spring out of a 113h dog spring so now 2 dogs function and hopefully it holds. Also the 7 stack washer kit wasnt tall enough so I successfully added an extra HT-100 washer and keyed washer to make it an 8 stack. Going fishing Friday so should get a workout.

Rivverrat

Just a suggestion but I would tie your line off to something solid & repeatedly walk off line at a decent drag setting until reel gets warm.
Dont worry if line doesnt come off smooth under load it will eventually. If it doesnt something isnt right.

The drag will wear in & in a lot of cases become smoother. A decent fish will do the same. I just like knowing stuff works right & is smooth prior to fishing it... Jeff

Rivverrat

Do you have a carbon fiber or some washer beneath the gear ?

rippin_lips

rippin_lips

Gave the new upgrades a workout today. They performed well and I'm very pleased. Double alternating dogs is a huge improvement. The 8 stack drag had some balls, ended up getting taken by a huge goliath grouper and the drag had way more stopping power. Now i just need to figure out how to get my braid spooled on tighter because at those drag pressures it just crushed the line underneath it.

Rivverrat

I always like hearing when some one puts something together that meets their expectations fishing. Good for you.. Jeff