Grease and fishing line

Started by Leckbass, July 15, 2019, 06:17:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leckbass

I saw in a few places that people recommended using grease on the spool to prevent corrosion.  Won't the grease harm the mono or braid?

oc1

Mono is nylon and nylon is not affected by solvents and stuff.  Braid/spectra is UHMWPE (ultra high molecular weight polyethylene) and is sort of compatible with solvents and stuff although it may swell.  I don't understand how or why it swells or if it builds up pressure at the bottom of the spool.

I've greased the spool under braid and, at least once, later turned the line over with the bottom layer on top of the spool and the worn faded end at the bottom.  It didn't really even feel greasy but it was thin 20# line and unused spectra is very slick anyway.  Nothing bad happened though.
-steve

Leckbass

Benni3

Wd40 on mono?,,,, :) but braid has like a wax on it that wears off,,,,, ;) the thing about what you're line smells like can make the difference of catching a fish in freshwater,,,,, :D sometimes I put power bait sent on the first 15 ft,,,,,,, ;D

Maxed Out

Put too much grease on your line and it won't sink. It'll become buoyant. I've heard about old timers purposely greasing the line so it wouldn't sink.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!