Newell reels

Started by DannyBoy, July 14, 2019, 05:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DannyBoy

Hey there
I bought a few Newell's to play with last month, and this month I caught a few nice fish with them.
I think it's catching fish with them that makes it an enjoyable reel to use. Lite!!! Even for 5 or 6 hours.
And I'm looking to modify bases to fit my different rods.
Some are "square" most are round?
Anybody know the whole story, about, modified stands?
Thanks
Dan

Newell Nut

What models do you have?

Dwight

reel man

Most Newell reel bases are interchangeable with like models. The aluminum base lowers the reel closer to the rod clamp. or jig rods without a clamp. By contrast the plastic reel bases raise the reel by quite a bit. In some cases the aluminum feet will not fit some rod clamps because of thickness, it's always a good idea to check this before installing it in a reel.

DannyBoy

I have a 220, 229, 235, and a 338.
I filed down the reel seat on the 229 to fit a
Fuji reel seat, but I don't want to mess with the 235
At all, I want to find a square base for it.

Ron Jones

By square, are you saying a Deckhand special base?
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Bryan Young

Some reels, you can change the reel seat with ones from Penn stamped.  I know someone here has this information.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

DannyBoy

I don't know if it's called a "deck hand" base but I have a 220 with a squared area to receive the reel seat, unlike most bases that are round. The base has metal feet also. I'll try to put up pics.

DannyBoy

These are the two types of reel seats I have, I have seen others.
The penn base I tried was causing the frame to warp and spool to rub.

Ron Jones

Got it, just different generations of reel seats. Glad you are enjoying your reels.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

DannyBoy

Maybe better pic

DannyBoy

Brian, Alan,
You guys must have come across this before.... I read in a forum that "Carl" made a few modified stands when some one brought it to his attention.  As I said the 220 has a square base area and metal feet, to receive the Fuji reel seat. The other is round, and don't sit flat, even with a clamp it's at a bad angle. My 229 I filed the stand opening wider, and it fits a bit better but the plastic feet are too big to really go into the reel seat hood entirely.  So I wait and search for a 235 square stand if there is such an animal! Or I go to jogging world and have them make me a black widow 300g with a different reel seat?

bluefish69

Penn does or have made reel seats that fit the Newell Reels you have 220 & 229. They are less than $15 each.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

reel man

The "squaring" was machined so the reel would clamp down on a line winding machine,

DannyBoy

I tried a penn reel seat, it was a tad tight and it warped the frame, making the spool rub a lot.
I got new washers and bearings from Whittier on Ebay, great guy, helped me get these reels in top shape.
I would like to put a 229 on a black hole 731M, and the 235 on a black widow 300c for the Hellen H , deep water fluke trips I am planning on taking.  I may file down the 235, or find a similar rod to the black widow.
Thanks
Guys

Swami805

So you're looking for the bases that have the metal tongue stamped in the base?
Do what you can with that you have where you are