Dam Quick 4000fd

Started by sharkman, December 05, 2022, 11:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

handi2

Quote from: foakes on December 06, 2022, 09:13:48 PM
Quote from: Aiala on December 06, 2022, 08:51:28 PMFred, out of curiosity, is the biggest one (the 4000?) comparable in size to say, a Penn 704/750SS, or a Garcia/Mitchell 402? Would it be appropriate for a long-range trip?

Inquiring busybodies want to know...  ^-^

~A~

Hi Lannie —-

4000 is the largest of the (4) sizes.

18.1 ounces.

3 CF drags, 3 SS drag washers.

Gear ratio is 1:4.1, the 3000 is the same, the 2000 & 1000 is higher at 1:4.8.

Line capacity with mono is 120 yards of 30lb, 150 yards of 25lb, 210 yards of 20lb.  Braid might increase these numbers by 50%.

Comparable to a 750, 704, or a 302/402.

Should be good on a long ranger.

Best, Fred

I was referring to this posted gear ratio/
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

foakes

Yeah, I may not have made it clear, Keith —- the way I posted it.

It is 4.1 to 1.

The way I posted it —- it could be interpreted as 1.4 to 1.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

sandbar

Fred
Good evening
Do you have parts for these reels?
I have a 1000 FD

foakes

Quote from: sandbar on December 13, 2022, 11:13:51 PMFred
Good evening
Do you have parts for these reels?
I have a 1000 FD

No, I don't —-

And likely will never have any, except some of the part numbers that cross over from the '01 & '02 series of reels (screws, springs, cranks, etc..

Reason —- DQ wants me to buy a minimum of $5,000 of parts initially —- of which I would maybe sell or give away 5% of them in the next 30 years.  And, at 100 years old —- not a good bet.

Frankly, these reels are so well made —- outside of normal service —- they shouldn't need much in the way of parts in 25 years of regular fishing.

The DQ's I work on and restore —- seldom need any parts in 40 or 60 years.

I have (4) of these reels —- limited editions brand new, mint, and never unwrapped in the boxes —- each with a serial number.

(2) 1000FD's & (2) 4000FD's —- $175 each.

Anyone who wants one —- just let me know and I'll ship it out.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

sandbar

Fred
Are you going to keep any to fish with?
Are these reels highlighted in any of the DAM Quick catalogs?

foakes

Quote from: sandbar on December 20, 2022, 11:34:32 PMFred
Are you going to keep any to fish with?
Are these reels highlighted in any of the DAM Quick catalogs?

Yes, I will keep one of each, Steve —-

They aren't going to make any more of these —- it is a limited edition of the best construction, components, and material selection of the D.A.M. Quick Champion '00,'01, & '02 series —- only with more modern features like the silent infinite A/R, and 10 bearings.  All metal construction, skirted spools with multiple oversized dual drags.

They each have a unique serial number, extra spool, paperwork, lifetime guarantee, oiler.

DQ is likely losing money on every one of these reels.

That is why they are making a quality statement —- but also discontinuing this limited run.

So they are for sale except for the (4) I will keep for personal use.

They are not in any catalogs.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

Gfish

Man if they're everything they seem to be, that's a great price. Maybe I shoulda waited before buying that Abu Garcia Suveran.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Aiala

After reading such admiring praise from the ever-coolheaded Fred, and despite needing another reel like a hole in the head, I wanted one of these (who wouldn't?) I didn't think I'd have much luck finding one, but amazingly enough, within a day or so, a BNIB 4000 showed up on fleabay for a price so low it's almost embarrassing, and I pounced. Well, it arrived today, and it is exactly as impressive as Fred described.

As beautiful as the reel is, I really don't want it to become a shelf queen. Even though it will doubtless appreciate in value, so what? Someday I'll pass it along (to my granddaughter I hope) but for now the reel was built to fish, not serve as a show-offy hunk of bling.

Fred said it'd be fine on a long-range trip, so I plan to take it on my July 8-day. Now I just have optimize my variables in terms of what lb-test line, correct ratio of mono/braid, and what rod to match it with. I haven't used spinners in a long while, but once on the SUPREME I caught a 50-lb YFT on an original 750SS, a feat I'd like to replicate while the replicating's good.   ^-^

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

foakes

Good move, Lannie —-

A reel on a shelf (Plinth Princess) is like a boat always in dry dock.

Looks good —- but will it float?

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

handi2

Fred what are the specs on the 1000 size reel? I may want one to fish with.

Keith
Gulf Breeze, FL

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Gfish on December 21, 2022, 06:11:41 PMMan if they're everything they seem to be, that's a great price. Maybe I shoulda waited before buying that Abu Garcia Suveran.

Greg,
If you ever decide you want to switch and feel like parting with that Suveran for a decent price let me know. I would definitely be interested.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Quote from: handi2 on December 21, 2022, 11:33:48 PMFred what are the specs on the 1000 size reel? I may want one to fish with.

Keith

4.8 to 1 ratio

11.1 ounces

150 yards of 6lb, 120 yards of 8lb., 80 yards of 10lb

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

handi2

Thanks Fred,

I do want one maybe two. One for my fishing fool grandson.
Gulf Breeze, FL

foakes

Let me know, Keith —-

How old is your grandson? —- fine looking young man.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.