Super tuned and upgraded vintage DAM Quick 330N bailess reel

Started by Milan S, July 14, 2019, 07:55:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milan S

Hello to all colleagues!
This is my first post on this forum, although I follow it for a very long time.
I am delighted with this forum.
Since there are many lovers of old DAM reels here, I want to show you something I did with one of them, trying to adapt it to modern fishing conditions.
As for the first time I post photos, I hope that the first post will succeed.
After this photos I will give an explanation and more (better) pictures in next post, but it may not be that very fast.

Milan S

Basic information about the upper bailles reel:

1. 7 ball bearings (2 in the handle, 2 in the spool, 2 in the line roller and one ball bearing standard/original in the rotor head),
2. polished metal spool (rounded lips) with special braking system which will be explained later (tested with 12kg drag), cork and stainless steel, Cals grease, 2 ball bearing (12x8x3.5mm),
3. SiC (silicon carbide) line roller with 2 ball bearing (8x5x2.5mm), 12mm diametar of roler, Teflon washers to prevent water penetration...,
4. polished side plate with special screw for fast opening (tool free),
5. stainless steel handle (pin free!!!),
6. Wooden knob with 2 ball bearing (8x5x2.5mm),
7. weight stabilization on the rotor,
8. stainless line roller arm secured with 2 screws made of stainless steel,
9. metal spool knob.

Reel is (this DAM Quick 330N) braid frendly and very smooth (each shaft and everything else is high polished).
Baill arm is very strong.
I tested everything on a 15kg load, and then I said it was enough.
There was no damage even though I tried with impact loads.
Spool is filled with 15lb braid (KastKing), 4mm under spool edge.
Lubrication is carried out with Penn grease (gear), Cal's grease (drag), sewing machine oil (shaft), Yamaha marine grease (line roller)...
More details latter...

basto

Very interesting indeed. May I ask where you got the line roller?
Greg
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

happyhooker

Very interesting, Milan. Lots of DAM Q fans here.

Greetings from Minnesota USA,

Frank

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Alto Mare

Nice job with the upgrades, Milan!...Welcome to the site.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Darin Crofton

God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Quite a lot of conversion work done on that reel. Very interesting, indeed.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

theswimmer

Wow!
Super detail and great photography.....
From one Dam fan to another  , welcome!

Best ,
Jonathan

PS
I don't think this qualifies for the  " As you find them  " thread  ..,....
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Milan S

Thanks to everyone who welcomed me!

I forgot to mention the reel is weighting 460gr without a braid.

Milan S

Quote from: basto on July 14, 2019, 09:43:08 PM
Very interesting indeed. May I ask where you got the line roller?
Greg

Roller was purchased over one of the Chinese sites, I do not know if I could mention it, and roller was very cheap.
Several pieces were bought (6), one of them I tested by treating it with grinding paper and shreds.
The hardness of the material is very large.
The grinding paper could not do anything until I became very persistent and rough with great pressure. Finishing is even better, smooth like glass. The roller geometry is correct. The dimensions do not deviate from the declared.
The roller corresponds to type 2 from the picture. I chose this because I think it contributes most to the elimination of twisting.

I've done some more tests.

1. At the temperature, by baking it on the flame of the gas burner. The temperature that the roller will never experience has not had the effect until I have mechanically broken it for the next test.
2.The next test was scratching on steel, glass and old broken guide (Fuji SiC). He was harder than these materials (same like Fuji guide).
3. The third test was in use with a carbon steel wire with a thickness of 0.4 mm. I drove about 100m.
There was no damage, only the deposits I cleaned up.

For me enough!

Milan S

Quote from: theswimmer on July 15, 2019, 04:33:57 AM
Wow!
Super detail and great photography.....
From one Dam fan to another  , welcome!

Best ,
Jonathan

PS
I don't think this qualifies for the  " As you find them  " thread  ..,....

Thanks for your welcome and comment, Jonathan.
It looks more like: the way I want to find them!!!
:)

mo65

That's a sweet hot rod Milan...great work! I'm a big fan of bailless reels. I have a few, not sure why I don't have more, they solve all the problems of a spinning reel. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Swami805

Heck of a job on that reel, everything down the the screws looks custom in some way. You'll fit right in here. What's your background that got you to this level of customizing reels?  Where are you located?what are your plans for the reel?
Do what you can with that you have where you are