Super tuned and upgraded vintage DAM Quick 330N bailess reel

Started by Milan S, July 14, 2019, 07:55:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldmanjoe

;)  That is a very smart approach to modifying the drags , got me thinking !!     Two frictions at the bottom ?   
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Milan S

New photos of drag system:

About details of second picture:
1. Here you can see on the front of the spool two Teflon and one leather washer between them.
2. A leather washer was inserted to achieve linear compressive force from the front side of spool drag.
3. The first washer to the spool knob is also Teflon, due to the smooth reaching of the brake.

About details of first picture:
1. The complete spool setup is seen here (there will be a more detailed photo).
2. The most important part is the cork washer and the stainless steel plate cork washer.
3. The cork is 2.5mm thick, metal plate about 2mm.
4. Cork is coated with graphite powder (graphite pencil with high softness) and CalS grease.
5. The top of the spool shows the first ball bearing installed.

Milan S

ball bearing in spool, two pieces, closed type:

Upper side...

bottom side...

A bit of everything is greased in the pictures, but the brake surfaces of the coil are polished and very smooth.

There was also room for three ball bearings...

Milan S

Cork details:

The second photo shows the fit of the cork washer to the spool.
The surface is maximally utilized to obtain maximum braking torque (max. drag).

The third photo shows the trim of the side of the washer.
The edge is slanted to give maximum contact surface with the sides of the coil and additional brake torque.

I love the details, but they are not always essential to function...

With all these elements, a very linear braking characteristic was obtained. And max. drag more than 15kg.

Milan S

With the following photos I will just briefly open the topic of attaching the lower stainless steel plate ...

The steel plate is attached to another part below, which is not visible in these photos.
It is secured with four shortened and machined elastic pins.
The best possible solutions considering the occurrence of forces and elevated temperatures.

After all testing with high forces, the heat dissipation on the steel plate is very high and the temperature is low.
The biggest influence on this result is the size of the plate and the fact that it is made of metal.
The temperature rise was barely noticeable, about 10C, after 250m breacking with 10kg drag, the time the braid was drawn is about 90s.

The spool removal button is shortened.This avoids accidental tangling of the braid around it...

Milan S

Quote from: oldmanjoe on July 21, 2019, 10:51:11 PM
;)  That is a very smart approach to modifying the drags , got me thinking !!     Two frictions at the bottom ?   

I hope the previous photos have clarified the basic concept a bit.

;)

Milan S

Quote from: Rivverrat on July 21, 2019, 08:53:26 PM
Cant wait to see the drag. I'm doing something similar on some old reels... Jeff

Rivverrat,
I know there was a bit more waiting, but I couldn't post photos earlier because of the vacation..
:D
I hope one part of your curiosity is satisfied.  ;)
There will be many more details just to get organized.

oldmanjoe

Quote from: Milan S on August 06, 2019, 08:17:38 PM
Quote from: oldmanjoe on July 21, 2019, 10:51:11 PM
;)  That is a very smart approach to modifying the drags , got me thinking !!     Two frictions at the bottom ?  

I hope the previous photos have clarified the basic concept a bit.

Yes they have , Thank you .       I like how you substituted the original spool also .   Good job .

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Donnyboat

Milan, thanks for all the photos & fine details, and welcome from sunny Western Australia, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Milan S

Quote from: Donnyboat on August 07, 2019, 02:52:21 AM
Milan, thanks for all the photos & fine details, and welcome from sunny Western Australia, cheers Don.

Thanks Don.
It is a pleasure to be with all of you.

Best,

Milan

Milan S

I would also like to add that this kind of brake has a very smooth operation and the compression of the cork is not pronounced (no change in height, compaction of cork is negligible) because it is a force acting on a very large surface.
The initial inertia (startup jerk) is insensitive, smaller than on any other brake I've had the opportunity to use or test.
Cork as a material is used after my insight into fly fishing gear and their need for quality braking.
I will not mention availability, durability and price of cork... In this performance, I think it has all the benefits.

The freewheel of the brake knob on the spool thread is about 2,5 circles. Further braking up to 6kg is in the next 6 full laps and the rest up to about 10 kg in 2,5 more laps. In the range of 0.5kg to 6kg the braking is very linear and the force incrementation is achieved at a speed that suits me

I plan to open a discussion soon on the topic of quality braking and the elements that affect it.
it seems to me that the relationship between the coefficient of friction, vertical force, friction force, the size of the surface on which the braking is performed and the brake torque which is the key variable for quality, reliable and strong braking is not fully understood. I don't know if that goes in this post or any new ... but there is time...

oldmanjoe

I am sure many others like myself would interested in a drag  brake discussion .   I can see were the surface area of the cork has helped that spool .

Milan S

Photobucket is destroyed my photos on first and second page...

>:(

Swami805

I can still see them but the early ones are blurry. Thanks for taking the time to show us your work.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

steelfish

The Baja Guy