alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Grease and fishing line
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
August 23, 2019, 08:29:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grease and fishing line  (Read 248 times)
Leckbass

« on: July 14, 2019, 10:17:35 PM »

I saw in a few places that people recommended using grease on the spool to prevent corrosion.  Won't the grease harm the mono or braid?
oc1
Sensei

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 11:59:49 PM »

Mono is nylon and nylon is not affected by solvents and stuff.  Braid/spectra is UHMWPE (ultra high molecular weight polyethylene) and is sort of compatible with solvents and stuff although it may swell.  I don't understand how or why it swells or if it builds up pressure at the bottom of the spool.

I've greased the spool under braid and, at least once, later turned the line over with the bottom layer on top of the spool and the worn faded end at the bottom.  It didn't really even feel greasy but it was thin 20# line and unused spectra is very slick anyway.  Nothing bad happened though.
-steve
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 12:03:10 AM by oc1 » Logged
Leckbass

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 09:13:28 AM »

great thanks!
Benni3

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 03:15:07 PM »

Wd40 on mono?,,,, Smiley but braid has like a wax on it that wears off,,,,, Wink the thing about what you're line smells like can make the difference of catching a fish in freshwater,,,,, Cheesy sometimes I put power bait sent on the first 15 ft,,,,,,, Grin
Maxed Out
Keep Clam !!
Sensei

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 05:48:34 PM »

Put too much grease on your line and it won't sink. It'll become buoyant. I've heard about old timers purposely greasing the line so it wouldn't sink.

We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: