2019 Shimano Calcutta Conquest 400

Started by Reverendpdp, July 18, 2019, 05:49:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reverendpdp

I posted this in the conventional section as well just in case no one gets to it.  Well I pulled the trigger on the reel above. Got a good deal on a JDM, which according to my research is the same as the USDM. This reel is truly a thing of beauty.  The only problem is that the owner's manual comes in Japanese.  Shimano NA does not carry the English manual either.  Would anyone out there be willing to snap a few pics or run a few copies of the English version?  Right now I'm trying to figure out how to remove the black protective cover that sits over the brakes. 

Also, has anyone replaced the bearings on this with the ceramic ones?  Much improvement?  How about drag?  Do I leave it alone or upgrade?  I'm not sure what material these stock ones are. 

steelfish

Quote from: Reverendpdp on July 18, 2019, 05:49:49 PM
Right now I'm trying to figure out how to remove the black protective cover that sits over the brakes. 

hmm never hear of any protective cover for the brakes, can you upload some pics?

Also, has anyone replaced the bearings on this with the ceramic ones?  Much improvement?  How about drag?  Do I leave it alone or upgrade?  I'm not sure what material these stock ones are. 
your reel is a Jewel, I have the calcutta 400TE which is really nice, but the conquest is a step above,  I dont know if it worth to change the bearings since they are already good quality, do you just want to make it "better" or really need to cast further or lighter lures?

The Baja Guy

oc1

That's a nice reel.  I think you can get more distance from the smaller sizes if you do not need the extra line capacity.

The advantage of full ceramic bearings is they can be run dry without wearing them out.  All new bearings are a little faster when run dry.  If you oil them or they get wet you will probably not be able to tell the difference.  Full ceramic bearings run dry are noisy too.  Finally, full ceramic bearings are very expensive.

I have run the stainless and hybrid (ceramic and stainless) bearings dry too.  Without oil, you will shorten their life somewhat.  However, they are much less expensive to replace.

-steve

MarkT

The Conquest is basically the Calcutta TE with holes drilled in the frame to make it lighter and to look cool. As I recall any extra bearings were in the handle and have no effect on casting.  It has greased Dartanium II drags which are a woven carbon fiber washer and should be good to go.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Reverendpdp

Quote from: steelfish on July 18, 2019, 09:11:33 PM
Right now I'm trying to figure out how to remove the black protective cover that sits over the brakes. 

hmm never hear of any protective cover for the brakes, can you upload some pics?

your reel is a Jewel, I have the calcutta 400TE which is really nice, but the conquest is a step above,  I dont know if it worth to change the bearings since they are already good quality, do you just want to make it "better" or really need to cast further or lighter lures?

Let's see if I can resize this...

Reverendpdp

Here's are some of the Japanese instructions...

steelfish

I might be wrong but seems to me that you are not suposed to take the black plastic shield on the brakes for use the reel, hence the open corner to activate or close the brake pads.
seems that its there to avoid having water to get into the bearings of the spool and rest of the reel.

@Mark, yes amigo, you're right, Conquest and TE are in the same boat of reel quality, conquest just have more bearings (more parts to go wrong) and a bunch of holes in the side plate and frame bars and it really looks cool, I wanted one but there were and still are really expensive, so I just could get the TE version and let me tell you its a killer reel for fish for spanish Macks, orage mouth curvinas and juvenile leopard grouper, in my case I had to upgrade the drags cuz they were "dartanium" or something like that and they were POS just like the ones on the gold trinidad reel, I switched to carbon fiber as soon as I got the reel back then.
The Baja Guy

Swami805

I have a 300te, great reel, on the don't leave home without it list
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Reverendpdp

Quote from: steelfish on July 19, 2019, 12:04:34 AM
I might be wrong but seems to me that you are not suposed to take the black plastic shield on the brakes for use the reel, hence the open corner to activate or close the brake pads.
seems that its there to avoid having water to get into the bearings of the spool and rest of the reel.

I see your point, but then there's no way to access the brakes to  change them out, etc.  It also seems that the manual is showing that cover pulling off to access the brakes and swap out the spool. 

nelz

The weights are switched on/off with your fingertips through the opening on the black cover. The cover is attached by two screws and only needs to be removed for maintenance or to take out the spool or replace brake weights. It's just like on the TE's.

MarkT

You don't change out the brakes, they aren't wear items.  You adjust them via the cutout.  You just turn the spool to get access to as many as you're adjusting.   I usually just do 2, maybe three and adjust every other one.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Reverendpdp

Great.  Thank you for responding.