My BFT Flat Fall leader system

Started by pjstevko, July 15, 2019, 07:37:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjstevko

I have a 2.5 day trip out of San Diego aboard the Top Gun 80 next month and I'm starting to prep my gear. The bluefin tuna are known for hitting flat fall jigs in the evening and early am so I put together a quick change FF leader system. It consists of

5' of 180# Seaguar Blue Label Fluorocarbon to a

300# Quickrig Solid Ring size 6 with green chafe protection forming the leader loop to tie the double San Diego knot to

The lure end is rigged with a

200# Quickrig Pro Grade BB Swivel with extra solid ring on a glow thimble attached to the leader with double crimps

Attached to one of the solid rings is a 120# Owner Hyperwire #8 split ring to attach the FF to

Off the other solid ring I will attach 1or 2 Owner Monster 7/0 Stinger Hooks rated to 240#

I think it'll hold up well..... If I can get bit!

What'd you guys think?

Pj

Jim Fujitani

Looks good.

Just a couple points (call it nitpicking); 

You could move the split ring for the FF attachment up to the front ring of the swivel, or even up to the thimble.  The lure body won't be generating that much line twist, compared to a hooked fish.

Is the line to the assist hook braided spectra or kevlar?  Although more expensive in the same line class, the kevlar may be more resistant to sharp teeth.  On one of my rigs, I even skipped the braided assist hook line entirely, and just used black-painted Sampo BB swivels and rings (#6 Owner hyperwire) to the hook eye.

But what do I know, I've never personally fished mine for BFT, although it has caught schoolie BFT to 80-90# (I didn't go on that trip, but two of my set ups and terminal tackle, FF and bait, successfully did).

pjstevko

Quote from: Jim Fujitani on July 16, 2019, 07:13:40 PM
Looks good.

Just a couple points (call it nitpicking); 

You could move the split ring for the FF attachment up to the front ring of the swivel, or even up to the thimble.  The lure body won't be generating that much line twist, compared to a hooked fish.

Is the line to the assist hook braided spectra or kevlar?  Although more expensive in the same line class, the kevlar may be more resistant to sharp teeth.  On one of my rigs, I even skipped the braided assist hook line entirely, and just used black-painted Sampo BB swivels and rings (#6 Owner hyperwire) to the hook eye.

But what do I know, I've never personally fished mine for BFT, although it has caught schoolie BFT to 80-90# (I didn't go on that trip, but two of my set ups and terminal tackle, FF and bait, successfully did).

Jim I believe the assist hook line is a derivative of Kevlar so I'm not too worried :)

MarkT

I use a 3' fluoro leader. I swap lures as conditions change with split ring pliers.

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Fishy247

You're going to want a swivel where you have the 300# solid ring. Flat falls do generate a fair amount of line twist on the retrieve. Otherwise, 3' of heavy flouro should be good( I like 150#-200#), not to mention easier to deal with moving around the boat. I hope you get to put it to the test!

Mike

pjstevko

Quote from: MarkT on July 17, 2019, 01:35:45 PM
I use a 3' fluoro leader. I swap lures as conditions change with split ring pliers.

That's exactly why I put that split ring on the bottom!

pjstevko

I think a 5' leader may be a bit long to get the fish close enough to the bigger sport boats so I think I'm gonna shorten the leader....What length should I go with....

3' or 4'  ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

MarkT

I'd stick some more hooks on that FF so that it'll be stickier.  BFT inhale the lure so getting a couple of hooks into it helps make sure it won't come off.

pjstevko

Quote from: MarkT on July 18, 2019, 09:34:05 PM
I'd stick some more hooks on that FF so that it'll be stickier.  BFT inhale the lure so getting a couple of hooks into it helps make sure it won't come off.

Oh yeah It'll have at least 2 assist hooks with a possible big J hook or 2 more assist hooks on the bottom of the jig as well.....

MarkT

I rigged mine with a 7/0 on the bottom and a couple of assist hooks up top.  That colt sniper is the one I got my 60#+ BFT on a couple of weeks ago.

boon

The giant pile of terminal tackle at the top end of the jig will severely limit/alter the action of it.

I would move the swivel to the top of the leader, if you must have one. Use a knot (AG Chain, or even a good old Uni) instead of two crimps at the lure end.
Do away with the thimble and use a ringed grommet instead.

To get the most action out of a jig, especially something like a flat fall where you want it to flutter back and forth on the descent like a dieing baitfish, you want to minimise the amount of extra stuff hanging from the jig that will inhibit the action. The exception is adding hooks, where you are trading off the ability to hook and hold a fish against reduced lure action.