Calcutta 100b set up for big bass

Started by Smols, June 07, 2019, 02:06:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smols

Looking to set up a Calcutta 100b for throwing lures to striped bass and largemouth bass on an upcoming trip to the Sacramento area. I would like some input on how to set up the reel as I normally fish and service heavier saltwater gear.

First- What kinds of grease and oil do most guys use to get the best casting distance? I assume Yamaha marine grease is too heavy to get the most out of this small reel.

Also, what weight and brand of braid (with fluoro topshot) works best for casting?

Thanks,
Smols

thorhammer

I use Corrosion X on bearings of every reel, large or small. Speed X, Rocket Fuel, TS321 all good. NOT Quantum Hot Sauce- turns to red plaque by all accounts. If you need some surface protection inside, take one of the above (or Corrosion Block alone) and use it to cut the Yamaha lube to a viscosity you like.

wfjord

I use 15# and mostly 20# powerpro braid, and Seaguar AbrazX 12# and/or 15# fluoro topshot/leader for casting plugs on freshwater baitcasters for bass and stripers, which is mostly what I fish for now. Modified Albright (Alberto) knot for super strong braid to fluoro connection & goes thru guides smoothy.

**TSI-321 on bearings, levelwind & spool shaft contact surfaces.  A smooth blend of Yamaha blue grease and CorrosionX for gears and general lube.

Those things allow me the best casting on my small baitcasters... along with, of course, an educated thumb and well adjusted cast control & breaking.

Smols

Thanks, guys - this helps. The lightest braid I have fished is 50lb. I think I will load 20lb braid on this small baitcaster. No problems with wind knots when fishing light braid? Anything to be aware of?

Swami805

I've only gotten wind knots with spinning reels. Might want to get some practice casting in before you go, I'd bet that small baitcaster is a different animal than what your used to. I have a 200b with 20lb braid on it and I end up picking out birdnests for awhile until my thumb gets re-educated to small stuff.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Bill B

When I lived in Sac I fished the Sacramento River below hwy 80.  I used a 300 series with 20 lb mono for salmon jigging.  For bass on the river 15 lb was plenty for me, as the larger stripers were few and far between.  I threw crawdad patterns, 3" Yamamoto grubs, and 4-6" stick baits.  Wacky rigged sencos worked real well for my buddies but I could never get the technique down.  Where will you be fishing?  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

wfjord

Quote from: Swami805 on June 08, 2019, 01:59:31 PM
I've only gotten wind knots with spinning reels. Might want to get some practice casting in before you go, I'd bet that small baitcaster is a different animal than what your used to. I have a 200b with 20lb braid on it and I end up picking out birdnests for awhile until my thumb gets re-educated to small stuff.

Same here, I've never gotten wind knots with a baitcaster.  I'm not sure I've ever gotten a "wind knot" on anything other than a fly tippit, but I had problems with spectra braid looping up around the drag knob on older Spinfishers due to me not closing the bail until after the plug hit the water, but the problem goes away when I'm more attentive.

I generally prefer 20# powerpro on most of my baitcasters since there are stripers in the lakes and rivers where I fish here, but I happen to have 15# braid on one reel with a v-spool I use with soft plastics for bass in shallower water and never had a reason to change it. 20 lb braid seems to cast as well as 15lb, but the leader/topshot is what the fish come in contact with. Sometimes I carry a baitcaster loaded with 8 or 10# mono. I can go lighter for most of my needs in the lakes, but prefer to go heavier for river stripers due to currents and greater chances of larger fish during the spring run.

mo65

Just be careful using light braid on a baitcaster. Braid is so strong, people tend to use it based on lb. test ratings rather than diameter.  That 20lb. braid is very thin, the size of 6lb. mono! I prefer to use 40lb. or heavier on all baitcasters. Look at these braid/mono diameter comparisons and judge for yourself. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

oc1

As long as I have my reading spectacles I'm fine with the small braid.  You can put a ton of it on a 100 size reel and not be afraid of any striper.

I've never been sure what people mean when they say a "wind knot".  Is that when the line wraps around one or several guides?  I hate that, especially when you hook into a fish or a snag and the rod tip is pulled against itself and snaps.  That's happened to me more than once.  But, the alternative to an occasional wind knot is using thick line and the thick line will call for a larger reel and it all feels over-powering for a LMB.

-steve

Swami805

I get wind knots fishing light braid in the surf with a carolina rig with a 1/2 sinker. The surf will wash it in so the line is a little loose on the spool. After a few casts knots appear in the line, can feel them hit the tip on the cast or retrieve, or they're so big they don't go thru the tip. Pull some line off, pull the knot out rinse, repeat. Some really supple line does it all day, now I use power pro and it's pretty stiff so it's not bad. Add some wind blowing the line and it's even worse.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Keta

Forget breaking strength when dealing with Spectra and smaller reels, line diameter should be the first consideration.

For what you are going to do I would recommend 50#-60# Spectra. The reel will hold far more 50# than will ever see light no mater how large the fish you hook.    I use some 20# and 30# on my tiny reels, Curado and Calcutta 51s and ABU 3500C when Kokanee and makanaw fishing but most of my reels have 60# and up.  I use mostly 10-12# fluro on the reels I freshwater fish with, even my salmon gear.  The lake I bass fish in is clear and weed free but rocky, you might step up on your mono/fluro if you are fishing weeds.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Benni3

Freshwater,,,,I run 20lb to 100lb mono or 30lb to 80lb braid,,,,,,, :D the trick is the leader,,,,,,fly line tippet 15lb to 18.5lb and light drag,,,,,,, ;D