Spinning reels

Started by CharterMaster, July 16, 2019, 11:14:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CharterMaster

I just bought two new spinning reels for a day and half trip to Mexico in mid August. I got the penn slammer 3 and a Shimano twin power. I am loading them with 80 lb braid for penn and 65 lb braid for the Shimano. My question is should I go with a top shot of mono then Fluoro or should I go with the braid straight to the fluoro? I never used spinning reel for this type of fishing so just not sure how people are setting up a spinning reel? I use 25 yards of top shot on my conventional reels just wondering if I do the same for spinning reels?

Rivverrat

I think in general it's good idea to use a mono leader or top shot. This can change for certain situations like where you want to keep stretch to a minimum like some bottom fishing where the battle is lost in just a few feet.

I'm sure there will be others along who know more about the area. It would help to know if your fishing from boat, shore & type of fish... Jeff

conchydong

Some say fluoro doesn't have enough stretch but unless you are fishing with super stiff rods I don't find it a problem. Spectra to your 25' fluoro leader and you should be fine. less connections to fail.

Rivverrat

Ya I didnt catch all you said in your post.  I agree using mono along with fluoro is overly redundant. I have quit using fluoro. I've found Andy Monster works well enough.

Regardless you'll be just fine using just one or the other... Jeff

Benni3

Are you going to be casting? The best thing is to call local bait and tackle shops down there and ask,,,,,,, ;)  some mates don't like braid,,,,,, ;D

boon

Get yourself a PR bobbin and get familiar with how to use it. Or make sure you can tie a good FG knot.

25 yards of topshot will be heaps. We're running them shorter and shorter, most of my setups these days are 10 yards or less of mono on the end of the braid, only time I would want more is a dedicated trolling setup.

Rivverrat

Wish I could run shorter leaders of mono. To many rocks & such in the rivers I fish. I might get brave & try fishing a 3'  leader. Sure be nice if it would work... Jeff

boon

Quote from: Rivverrat on July 18, 2019, 01:04:55 AM
Wish I could run shorter leaders of mono. To many rocks & such in the rivers I fish. I might get brave & try fishing a 3'  leader. Sure be nice if it would work... Jeff

Very different game for you because of the horizontal component - almost any part of the line that's in the water could presumably come in contact with structure. For us on a boat, we try to stay directly over the fish, within reason, and keep the fight straight up and down. That way, even if the fish gets in the reef, most of the line is just in the water column.

Rivverrat

Boon, while it's a simple thing. You have a very good understanding of the verticle vs horizontal aspect & how it can play into the tackle & line we all use.

The good thing about rivers is they talk & tell about what lays below their surface. Rivers dont keep secrets.

Every river creek or body of water that flows "ALWAYS" has 3 things. Runs, Riffles & Holes all fish relate a bit differently to each of these 3.

When fishing from boat or canoe I generally have four rods. Two are set up specifically to fish or easily change out to fish these specific areas of the rivers I dearly love & have grown up on... Jeff

mo65

Quote from: CharterMaster on July 16, 2019, 11:14:45 PM
A day and half trip to Mexico in mid August.

Those are the magic words...I'm guessing you're going on a charter? Call the charter provider and ask them. I've done this a few times. They always seems happy to provide info on what they use. It makes sense...keeps messes due to improper equipment to a minimum. Good luck on your trip! 8)

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

MarkT

I use my TwinPower 14k for poppers, stick baits, etc.  I go spectra to 3' of mono.  I don't bother with fluoro for lures since it's a reaction bite.  I only use fluoro for tuna where they can be finicky and if they're going full speed I don't bother with fluoro at all.  My big tuna rigs (100#+) are spectra to a 25' fluoro leader, no mono.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!