Penn International and Torques

Started by mrbrklyn, July 17, 2019, 04:16:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbrklyn

I know this is going to sound like a stipid question, but what is the essential difference between a PENN® International® VISX, a PENN® International® VI, and a PENN® Torque® Star Drag aside from the missing star drags.  I'm looking over the Penn site and the data they post is very hard to understand.  Even the size standards for a 12 size reel is confusioning. 

Mono Capacity yd/lb
1510/10 1030/12 880/15

that is a head scratcher for a real designated as a 12.

sabaman1

I believe the Penn International series were originally designed to fish competition for sailfish and white marlin with the pound test ratings described. Therefore the very large capacity was required. If I'm off on this maybe someone more knowledgeable can key in and explain.
JIM

Tunanorth

Correct that International sizes are historic, and indicated what pound test they were used with in competition and when pursuing IGFA record fish.
In PENN's newer models such as Fathoms, Torques, etc, the number indicates the reel will hold 300 yards of "THAT" pound test monofilament, allowing line capacity comparisons ac ross multiple series platforms.

thorhammer

note VISX has different drag curves rated for braid two - three classes up. As stated the Tournament original designations were to accommodate IGFA classes- notably the 16 which is normally only available in IGFA tested premium lines. 15 lb (more commonly available) could go anywhere from 12 to 25 lbs based on a study I saw a ways back on mono comparisons.

So in today's braid world, and original 12, T, or LT is very outdated in terms of its available drag vs. weight of reel...Alan, et al run 80 braid on new "20" size lever drags, and about the only need for a 130 is on Wicked Tuna.