Ocean Odyssey- July 14-16, 2019

Started by alantani, July 17, 2019, 05:44:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jigtosser

Nice bluefin...
Great example of getting the job done!
Congrats Alan, experience is the key on those jumbos !!!
Thanks for showing those youngsters how to do it !  ;D
Dan

sabaman1

Very nice fish Alan, and the triple JP to go along with that. Sounds like you had an awesome trip, Congratulations! Looks like you'll have plenty
  of sashimi for the family and friends.
JIM

conchydong

Donnyboat

Good work Alan, nice you had a good time, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

foakes

Nice trip, Alan —

Thanks for the great report!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

alantani

these guys had plenty of opportunities to beat me. the money obviously is never an issue for me.  i would have preferred to see all of these fish landed. you have to set the drags 30% at the start and be willing to push the drags to 50% if needed.  otherwise it will be a stand off, and these fish will eventually spit the hook. anything more than 20 minutes is trouble.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

sabaman1

Thanks Alan,very good tip on the drag setting. Not sure if you've done a tutorial on how to properly set your drags with a scale, but would
  you be willing to do a video on how that's done? I'm not sure if you have the reel mounted on rod and pull slowly,fast or what
  exact details are involved?
JIM

steelfish

great work Jefe,

normal day at the office for Alan
The Baja Guy

ldoret94

dangalang

boon

Quote from: MarkT on July 17, 2019, 06:57:21 PM
Single speed Torium with 6:1 gears... no wonder the deckhand had to pull on the line!  I guess they didn't have permits to be within 12 miles of land.

I was bewildered by that. Completely wrong rod under that reel or something? Seemed to be incapable of lifting the fish, no recovery in the blank.