My untrained eye

Started by Maxed Out, July 19, 2019, 12:04:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

I've been buying and (sometimes) selling reels on eBay for over a decade and thru the years have learned to catch things that the average untrained eye may scroll right on by.

Here is a good example. A recent listing that caught my eye was up for several days with no starting bid($29). The main picture showed the reel mainly from the side.

Here is about what that pic looked like. It instantly caught my eye and my curiosity, as I noticed the long looking frame posts
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Maxed Out

I knew right away what it was, and made a more than generous offer and seller accepted. Just like Mike and Frank, I gotta have meat on the bone if I ever sell it. Btw, my eye is still in training mode. I've missed lots of pre war penns that I surely would've bid on

Now, here is the same reel (49), and this is the money shot that lets an untrained eye in on the secret. It's a 49A and didn't need another, but could not pass this one by

Ted

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

mo65

I've only been surfing "buy it now" listings...left you a wide opening Ted...HA! Great find buddy! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Donnyboat

Nice find Ted, good eye for sure, cheers Don. enjoy.
Don, or donnyboat

Benni3

Great going my friend and great find,,,,,,, ;D

AC49

Great find Ted  :) :)

Shined up nicely too !!

Regards
AC49

Bill B

Beautiful reel brother....thats one hole I need to fill in the '49 collection....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

bhale1

.......right, !!!!!! So now we are supposed to believe Ted has an "untrained eye"...
Thats a goooooood one Ted ;D
Brett

mo65

Quote from: bhale1 on July 20, 2019, 05:07:31 AM
.......right, !!!!!! So now we are supposed to believe Ted has an "untrained eye"...
Thats a goooooood one Ted ;D
Brett

:D :D Ain't he a peach? :D :D
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Crow

Another one of these just sold on ebay...hope it was "ohana", that got it !  My "pockets weren't quite deep enough"  ;D!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Maxed Out

Quote from: Crow on July 22, 2019, 03:52:36 PM
Another one of these just sold on ebay...hope it was "ohana", that got it !  My "pockets weren't quite deep enough"  ;D!

That auction was ended early by the seller. Likely got an offer they couldnt refuse. It did have the "A" in the logo, but seller still listed it as a 49, instead of 49A