Restoring the SBL90

Started by mo65, July 19, 2019, 02:05:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

Here is a reel that I started to restore for Wayne(El Pescador), but we ended up doing some horse trading and I'm the proud owner now. I had been watching these reels on eBay, they seemed like a great candidate for catfishing. The guys I fish with have been getting into using spinners with circle hooks. What the hell, who wants to be odd guy out? I'll give it a try. ;D  The first photo is how it looked when I received it. Seems to be in pretty good shape...just a little dirty.

Looking closer, the dirt almost looks like sand stuck to oil film. Sand on the outside could mean corrosion on the inside.

Opening the side plate I was relieved, no serious corrosion in here. There's a nice heavy ball bearing on the main gear shaft, and the yellow arrow points to the stainless steel AR dog and ratchet.

This same grease that was so soft and usable in my Zebco 620 is completely solidified in this SBL90! I'm thinking saltwater does this...it's so hard it flakes off.

A closer look inside the gear case reveals some salt crystallization. There's just a hint of green corrosion on the brass pinion too. Usually with this much salt residue the metals have been damaged...not here! Zebco touts this model as a  "medium saltwater reel that is corrosion resistant throughout." I think they may be right!

Taking the spool apart I found a nice size 3-stack set up. It used the old red hard fiber discs like Penn used in the old days, only a bit thicker. It looked like Penn's #6-113 carbon fiber drags might fit with a slight bit of modification. I love the huge coil spring the blue arrow points to...that's how you get a great range of adjustment.

The red disc measures .040 and the #6-113 measures .045...close enough for government work. :P

The outside diameter was fine, but the inside was just short of sliding onto the spool shaft. A few quick laps around the ID with a dremel and it's game on. The carbon fiber discs were greased with Cal's and the metals were polished. The drag power was impressive...smooth and strong. I hooked up a scale and just pulled from the spool. I stopped tightening the drag knob at 15lbs...there was more range left...but the last thing I want to do is bust my new reel. Besides, I'm spooling 30lb. mono on it, why would I ever need more than 15lb. of drag?

This line roller assembly rocks...it's not held on by a little odd size nut that some googan has rounded with pliers...a simple screwdriver will take it apart. The roller has a nylon bushing, that should help avoid corrosion.

The spool and body all cleaned up.

Ahh yes, the bits and pieces. Just like I've come to expect from these Zebco spinners, no plastic.

She's almost too pretty to button up. :o  The bearings are silky, must be of decent quality. The AR system ahead of the gear mesh insures that cast main won't see undue stress. This is a solid reel.

This reel needs no aftermarket power handle. It has a man sized crank already in place. The arm is nickle plated, and the knob is a big log type with an oiler.

Use the Penn 712z for perspective. The Zebco is not a huge reel, just a beefy reel. I like the relatively light weight too. It has a 4.3:1 gear ratio. It's rated for 17-25lb. line, but I spooled up with 30lb. Berkley Big Game. Where we fish the 30lb. gives better abrasion resistance.

That color is SMOKIN', reminds me of the Royal Maroon Shakespeares. It's a bit more shiny though, more metalic. Thanks again Wayne for hookin' me up with a gem, you da man! 8)

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Rivverrat

That's a reel I've not seen in a while. Always liked the handle & knob.

Nice write up... Jeff

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

alantani

this how you get to be a sensei!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

El Pescador

MO-Meister!!!

EXCELLENT POST Buddy Boy!!!!

Yes, my original intention was to send you the reel, have you photograph the breakdown and "grease & put together" system  you do, then send it back.  

BUTT thru our PM's it sounded like you were looking for this reel for your collection and would use it to catch some big river cats.

GOOD, it is now your reel!  use it in good health.   Looking forward to your reel exchange shipment as well!!!!

GREAT, CLEAR Photos!  You should set up a photography school, I'll attend!!!!!

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

mhc

Great post Mr. Mo  :), you have almost convinced me I need a Zebco spinner.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Captain64-200

Excellent restoration and photos !  Thanks Mo .
Fred from Biarritz ,

mo65

Quote from: El Pescador on July 19, 2019, 02:17:14 PM
   Looking forward to your package as well!!!!

I just checked tracking...says your package is still scheduled for delivery today. Hope you enjoy it!  ;D

Thanks to all the others also...glad you folks like the post. 8)

El Pescador

AOK MO!

Here is an ad from a Field & Stream magazine from the 1970's.

Wayne

festus

Great restoration, Mo, it looks brand new.  When most folks think of Zebco, they think of closed face push button reels.  But Zebco made some nice spinners.  According to the online Zebco catalogs that Cody Vignal posted, that the SBL90 debuted in 1974.  I like the a/r setup, the ratchet ahead of the pinion gear.

mo65

Quote from: festus on July 19, 2019, 04:43:08 PM
  When most folks think of Zebco, they think of closed face push button reels, but Zebco made some nice spinners.

Indeed, and they have made some mighty fine push button reels too! Everyone seems to always reference Zebco to a 202 though...and even then they sell Zebco short...saying they are plastic reels. The bodies of those little spincast reels are plastic, but almost all have metal gears, handles, and spools. I have a few Zebco spincast that are total metal...and not pot metal...and very heavy as a result. This Omega Z03 is a beast with brass gears, 7 bearings, and multi-disc drag. I use it for bait fishing rainbow trout.

Gfish

Nice Zebco Mo. Wow, 15 + lbs. a drag, excellent!
Looks alot like that Diawa G3 I did in the "B grade reels" thread. In fact, I only saw 1 major diffrence: the AR pawl and rachet system in the Zebco, is inside the main gear box and I assume the AR pawl is also the clicker. If you recall, the G3 had a separate click pawl, located outside/on top of the main gear box but still actuated by the AR ratchet, and the AR pawl was an Abu dog-ear style.
The G3 was a '77 and the SBL90 was a '74, so maybe Diawa was copying most of Zebco's format?

Edit; ok, lookin at the pictures again, the handle and knob are diffrent between the two. The Zebco looks more beefy.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Rivverrat

Quote from: Gfish on July 19, 2019, 10:18:50 PM
Nice Zebco Mo. Wow, 15 + lbs. a drag, excellent!
Looks alot like that Diawa G3 I did in the "B grade reels" thread. In fact, I only saw 1 major diffrence: the AR pawl and rachet system in the Zebco is inside the main gear box and I assume the AR pawl is also the clicker.

There are very few fresh water fish that wont succumb to a good reel & angler using a reel of this caliber  ... Jeff

happyhooker

Great pics & write-up.  Nice looking reel, too.

Frank

El Pescador

Thank YOU MO!
A small gift arrived in the mail yesterday
MO's Penn 109 - Yes, the same reel that has over 43,000 hits on YouTube!!!

Alan's site brings out the generosity of all, and for most guys, that, as Dr. Phil would say, "Just NOT normal!!!"

Great looking reel!   Thanks again MO!          Wayne