PENN 6500SS Worth Buying?

Started by MarcosG, July 19, 2019, 01:45:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcosG

Hello,
I was offered two Penns 6500SS in prestine condition for a great price I guess.
I understand that they are great reels but I'm little worried about finding parts down the road since they are old reels.
They were made around 2007 if I'm not mistaken.
Each reel will cost me $70.00 a piece.
Is it worth?

Thanks

akfish

They are great reels but you're right: parts will be an issue in the future. That said, so many were sold that you can probably find parts and parts reels on eBay for the foreseeable future. If you like the reels, get them.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

MarcosG

Thank you, They look very solid reels with not much usage and they both come with a 7 foot Ugly Stick too.

MarcosG

Here are the pictures of them.
Thanks for the input.

foakes

Yes, those are good values, Marcos —

Good combos...

We all talk about how tough some parts are to get on discontinued reels — but on our site — that is rarely an issue.

Plenty of these reels were sold, and still around, like Bill mentioned.

Here is what you will have, to my way of thinking —

Two great combos in excellent condition, after you do a pre-fish service on each.

Pick up a couple of extra bail springs, and keep scanning eBay and CL for a cheap additional 6500SS to just keep around for the odd parts replacement.  Got to remember, we think we need every part on a reel for replacements — but the reality is that only a few, if any parts, ever need replacing — on quality reels that are serviced regularly.

This would be my approach.

Nice find!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

MarcosG

Thanks Fred, I'll get them then, plus there are some great tutorials here that shows how to maintain these models, I would be using them for surf fishing and at the Chesapeake Bay.
Your advice is much appreciated.