Calcutta TE 300 & 400 left side bearing removal

Started by Fishead, July 19, 2019, 02:34:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishead

I am trying to figure out how to get to the left side bearing on these reels. It look to be in the plastic housing the holds the worm gear drive as well. I do not want to break the plastic.
If you're not fishing,you're wishing you were!!

nelz

Remove the housing by undoing the two screws that secure it, don't worry, it's metal on the TE's. That will give you access to the bearing. You may need to remove the side cover and cog as well to be able to reach it easier, each is secured by one screw.

Fishead

I guess I should have posted this in the correct spot since these are not spinning reels. My reels have plastic bearing housing in the left side.

nelz

Quote from: Fishead on July 19, 2019, 04:43:11 PMI guess I should have posted this in the correct spot since these are not spinning reels. My reels have plastic bearing housing in the left side.

Are you sure it's a "TE" Calcutta, not the cheaper base model? Because on the TE it's metal, very little plastic on those beauties!

steelfish

I think he is referring to the blank housing where the bearing sits, the bearing is hold in place by a spring with an exagonal form, very carefully lift on the ends and put a bag or something when you pull it out cuz those things like to fly to the same place your missing socks are hidden (neverland).
if the bearing is still hard to pull it out you should find a way to pull it, like a bent tip of a screwdriver or any other metal tip tool.
The Baja Guy

Fishead

I am referring to the black plastic looking piece with the black plastic gear on it in the lower right corner of that pic. I did tug on it a little but am Leary of breaking it.

nelz

Quote from: Fishead on July 19, 2019, 06:12:19 PMI am referring to the black plastic looking piece with the black plastic gear on it in the lower right corner of that pic. I did tug on it a little but am Leary of breaking it.

Don't worry, it's not plastic. I had the same concern the first time I serviced my TE and I tested it, it's aluminum. Had it been plastic I would no longer own that reel. The gear is indeed plastic, that is standard nowadays, even on high-end reels.

Fishead

Good to know. I sure looks like plastic. I will give it another shot today.

Fishead

Got it out! That was a very hard pull but it came out. Greased it lightly around the outer edge and put it back. Still very hard to pull out but at least I know what it takes to remove it. Thanks !!

steelfish

Quote from: Fishead on July 26, 2019, 08:20:03 PM
Got it out! That was a very hard pull but it came out. Greased it lightly around the outer edge and put it back. Still very hard to pull out but at least I know what it takes to remove it. Thanks !!

nice !!

what did you used to pull the bearing out?
The Baja Guy

Fishead

I held the black part and the spool edge and pulled. Took some effort but it came out. I did not bend anything......I think.