Penn 4300ss Problems

Started by ChileRelleno, July 20, 2019, 08:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChileRelleno

One of my son's friends whom he fishes with has a 4300SS with some problems.

1) The drag will not tighten down.
Initially his drag knob was broken, the metal drag washer corroded and he needed a new HT-100 drag washer.
I thought that'd do it.

Cleaned up the whole reel inside/out, replaced the drag stack and knob, drag still doesn't work.
Everything looks good, maybe the drag spring is bad, but it looks just like the one on my 4300SS.
Thoughts and recommendations?

2) Looking at it further I noticed upon trying to remove the spool using the button, the button doesn't work.
There is no releasing the spool sleeve from the shaft.
No click, button goes down and stays down until repeatedly tapping the sleeve.
I don't know if it's the old metal type or newer plastic, I can't get it off.

Could this be the problem with the drag, or just another issue?
How do I get the sleeve off with an inoperable button?
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

foakes

Possibly slightly related, John —

Due to poor maintenance, or the mixing up of the drag sequence.

On the drag not tightening issue — check to make sure that the orientation of the drag parts is correct.

Mystic has this info online.

Next, on getting the spool release button to operate —

Remove the spool and spool shaft from the reel — remove the drag assembly — drip a few drops of oil vertically down the shaft from both the top and the bottom — after letting the oil work for a couple of hours, get a block of wood to rest the bottom of the spool shaft on, using a wooden dowel and a small hammer on the release button — try to tap the button down until it releases.

If you have the first gen shaft — the spool retainer will be metal.

If you have the second gen shaft — the retainer will be a plastic nylon piece that is replaceable and available through Mystic.

Hope this helps you in the right direction — let us know.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

ChileRelleno

The drag is in the proper order, there is all of four parts, one ht100, one metal washer, one drag spring and knob and in that order.
Same order and orientation to each other as my 4300SS which works fine.

Will try again on the spool release button.
It already has a drop each of Kroil and Corrosion X in it.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Benni3

If you need spool shaft,,,,,, ;) I think I got 1,,,,,,,, ;D