Penn 710z. Cranking is rough. Think it’s the main gear

Started by Fishgolfman, July 30, 2019, 12:15:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishgolfman

Newbie to old penn spinning reels. The piñon oscillates and shaft moves  is smooth when I spin rotor cup with out main gear in place. Looked at gears don't look stripped though but could be just worn. Any way to check? Appears that main gear no longer available from mystic. Substitutes or is there a way to rehab gear or shim it so it sits better with piñon. Thanks

wfjord

I'm not sure if this is your solution, but when putting my 700 series spinfishers back together, as the nut that holds the rotor on is tightened it pulls the pinion forward slightly and allows the main and pinion gears to mesh properly.

PacRat

Could be the bearing. I had this experience once. I cleaned the bearings and they felt good so I greased them up and put it back together and it felt real rough and sloppy when it was cranked. I swapped out the bearing for a new one and all was well again. The original bearing felt great out of the reel and the rotor turned freely. Could be just a quirk of the worm-drives that they need a really good bearing.
-Mike

Fishgolfman

I tried it again by playing with rotor but. Still rough to crank. Ample grease too which does not help. Might try 712z gear and piñon switch if I can find parts.

Fishgolfman

Rotor spins easily. Bearing looks good. But another thing to consider on these worm drives piñon and gear reels. Thanks

foakes

I have new gears and bearings, if you have trouble locating some.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Fishgolfman

Got a used main gear today in mail. Replaced and works  like a charm! Thanks to all the advice

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.