Penn Ultrasports

Started by Ruffy, July 21, 2019, 06:37:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruffy

My favourite spinning reel up until now has been a 430SS. Throw it on a 6'0 4-6kg glass rod, 20lb braid, and you've got a great combo for most things I'll pull out of a creek in Northern Australia. I recently picked up an ultrasport, I thought some parts would be interchangeable and afford me spares. I paid $72 on ebay; was looking good at about $35 then got sucked into a last minute bidding war.  :-\ When I got the reel it turns out it was functional but aesthetically worse then the pictures showed, with a fair bit of corrosion on the spool, chrome off the bail arm etc. Also turns out that not many parts are interchangeable between the 430/714 (I should have scanned the schematics on Mystic). The main gear is different in the AR cog is against the solid main gear in the 714, however it is offset in the 430 to allow the silent ar dog leaves go either side. Rotor and spool are completely different, as is the bail wire and mechanism. Ah well! I gave it a good soak in vinegar, got it all cleaned up and now it has been added to the stable, retiring the 430 for the moment. I like the clicking AR, it just feels more reassuring then the silent AR on the 430. Will have to slip a spring into the 430 I think! The spool came up alright, all the black dots you can see in the photos were corrosion areas. I pinched the wifes clear nail polish and basically laquered the entire spool ;D

Ruffy

Just a few more pics. The 714 had all its badges in tact which I am very pleased with!

Crow

Looks pretty darn good, to me !  Those "last minute bidding wars", will get you !!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !