Mitchell 408 - Pinion difficult to remove from rotor.

Started by Balvar24, July 22, 2019, 04:39:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balvar24

As the title says, I'm having trouble removing the pinion gear from the rotor.  Any tips?  I need to perform a gear transplant and can't get either separated easily.  I've removed the hex nut in the rotor cup.

Thanks.

foakes

Welcome aboard, Balvar —

There is a pinion set screw (81278) that must be removed in order to remove the bearing assembly.

A HINT: clean the bearing assembly in a solvent cleaner such as carb cleaner, brake cleaner, lighter fluid, etc.

I use Lacquer Thinner — but that is not for everyone...but I am safety conscious and aware of how to handle it effectively.

Do not unscrew the bearing assembly — all of the tiny balls will fall out.

Just clean, dry, and a couple of drops of oil will do.  I generally just drop my assemblies into a small jar of synthetic oil for 10 minutes, remove, dry off the excess, and reinstall — works perfectly & and smoothly.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Balvar24

I've got the rotor/pinion removed from the body.  My issue is removing the rotor from the threaded portion of the pinion assembly itself.  I've actually applied Kroil and stood the assemblies up to allow it to creep into the threads for several days.  I would thought they would turn on the threads readily, but so-far, nothing.  I've had a few 308/408/908 models apart for service.  This is the first time I've tried to remove the pinion assembly.

And thanks for the reply.  I appreciate you taking the time.

These are neat little reels.  My seven year old is using a 308 on his rod right now.

foakes

Quote from: Balvar24 on July 22, 2019, 05:51:46 PM
I've got the rotor/pinion removed from the body.  My issue is removing the rotor from the threaded portion of the pinion assembly itself.  I've actually applied Kroil and stood the assemblies up to allow it to creep into the threads for several days.  I would thought they would turn on the threads readily, but so-far, nothing.

In that case, just reassemble the reel so that the gears will hold the pinion — as you unscrew the rotor, COUNTERCLOCKWISE.

It is just stuck from being used over the years and never removed.  Or it could be jammed due to being cross-threaded.  But that is unlikely, since you would have noticed an off-center "wobble" as the rotor spun.

Hopefully you will not ruin the pinion teeth — but if you do, I have new pinions — but they run $50 for a main and pinion — since they are scarce and nearly unobtainable.

Photos always help everyone on the site to see what your issue is.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Balvar24

Should I install the pinion set screw to do this?  The shape of the gears tends to make the pinion want to climb out of the housing.  Harder to find than the pinion is the main gear.  I was going to change both components because I assume they wear as a set. 

I've got a new looking 408, but when I opened it up, the teeth on the main gear were turned to mush.  I can only assume that the grease used was not compatible with the yellow metal.  I bought a parts reel that had a good main gear and I think the pinion is salvageable as well.

foakes

Great!

Yes, install the set screw, main gear, side plate, and handle tightly.

You should be able to hold the handle to back off the rotor — got to be careful to not slip the teeth on the pinion or main — just hold everything firmly and unscrew it.

A couple of times, I have needed to use a strap wrench on a rotor for extra leverage with no damage.

If the handle unscrews while you are doing this operation — you can also remove the side plate and all components inside the case — then using a "C" clamp with two small blocks of wood on both ends of the main — this will hold the main and pinion as you unscrew the rotor.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Balvar24

Balvar24

I'm beginning to think it can't be done!

Heat wrench?

foakes

If it is that hard to separate — then I would use a soldering gun or small butane torch to heat the threads where they attach to the rotor — then immediately hit it with Freeze Spray.

This is an aluminum rotor and a steel pinion — the dissimilar metals are fused together.

I would also consider using a couple of strap wrenches for leverage — one around the rotor — and a smaller one around the pinion.

Hope you get it off.  If not, you can send it my way — and I will get it off for you at N/C.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Balvar24

I'm actually trying to get two apart.  I'm going to try the soldering iron next.  Hopefully that'll do it.

Balvar24

Well, I got one apart.

I only have an electric soldering iron, so I heated a big nut with a torch and let it heat the aluminum up.  The reel that looked like it came from a bottom of a lake came right apart.  As for the other, I'm still working.  I managed to strip the threads off the handle trying to get the rotor off.  Speaks well of the strength of these Gleason gears.

Forgive me, but I think I'm going to drill it.

Anyone know what tap to use to clean the treads on the drive gear?  It almost looks like an acme.

DON3099

Quote from: foakes on July 22, 2019, 05:38:22 PMDo not unscrew the bearing assembly — all of the tiny balls will fall out.
My friend came over, with a wobble in the rotor head, and some movement up & down. I removed the pinion gear from the rotor head carefully. Guess what the locking of the assenbly some how worked loose. I learned years ago to work over a towel. 50% of the bearings did fall out, luckly all on the towel. I took all of them out, along with the assembly cleaned it all up. With the help of a small magnetic screw driver I was able to get all (I believe 34 bearing) back in place and oiled. Problem solved no movement in the rotor, and turns like butter :d

Midway Tommy

Good for you! Been there & done that with the "LOOSE BALLS" deal on a couple of different make of reels. It isn't fun trying to find those little rascals in the carpet.  ::) 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)