Calcutta TE 300 / 400 Ver. ?

Started by nelz, July 24, 2019, 02:25:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelz

Shimano has two schematics for each Calcutta TE 300 / 400. The only difference appears to be that the later one shows A-RB bearings (anti-rust). So my question is, how do I tell if mine is the plain or A-RB bearing version? Bought it used, no box or papers, seller is clueless.

alantani

so this will be totally no help, but by the time i see them there are ALL rusted......   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

nelz

Quote from: alantani on July 24, 2019, 05:27:35 AMso this will be totally no help, but by the time i see them there are ALL rusted......   :-\

Alan, I thought you were a fan of the TE's!  ???

I've purchased 3 of them from ebay throughout the years, never found a rusted bearing, even on one that was full of sand.

thorhammer

Alan had to fix the bearings in my TE....

nelz

Quote from: thorhammer on July 24, 2019, 01:51:18 PMAlan had to fix the bearings in my TE....

Guess I've just been lucky.  ;D   Worse case was one I got with a very dirty AR clutch bearing, but it cleaned up well and worked.

So Thorhammer do you have the A-RB version? Do you know how I can tell the difference on mine?

thorhammer

Dunno- it's up at the cabin; will check next time I'm up there. I'm mainly a Penn / Abu guy, that's why Alan had to fix mine :)

alantani

i actually do really like these reels.  i have a pair in the boat that are reserved for me.  of course, i pulled them out and those were the first reels that the other guys grabbed!!!!!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

basto

I have a TE200, first model, but it just says stainless bearings on the box. From memory, other Shimanos I had with ARB bearings , the balls are very dark, coated with something.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

nelz

Quote from: basto on July 24, 2019, 09:40:16 PMI have a TE200, first model, but it just says stainless bearings on the box. From memory, other Shimanos I had with ARB bearings , the balls are very dark, coated with something.

Ah-ha! I suspected as much. So are the older stainless bearings open or shielded? All the TE's I've had had open "dark" bearings.

I've owned three 300TE's. After selling the first two, I saw an offer I couldn't refuse on another. This time I'm keeping it!

basto

Yes, just puled the right side bearing out and its dark all over and open.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Fishead

I may be wrong but it seems the ARB reels do not have shielded bearings. I have both and that seems to be the only visible difference.
If you're not fishing,you're wishing you were!!

nelz

Quote from: Fishead on July 31, 2019, 01:11:42 PMI may be wrong but it seems the ARB reels do not have shielded bearings. I have both and that seems to be the only visible difference.

So you have a TE with closed SS bearings? Which model?

Fishead

I have the TE 200, 300, several 400's and several 700's. They all have sealed bearings. My Calcutta 200B is one of the arb reels and it has open bearings.

nelz

Quote from: Fishead on August 08, 2019, 01:47:30 AMI have the TE 200, 300, several 400's and several 700's. They all have sealed bearings. My Calcutta 200B is one of the arb reels and it has open bearings.

Thanks Fishead. Curious, do your TE 300 and 400 have the two or four drain holes? If my suspicion is correct, the will have four.

Fishead

I do not know from memory. I'm not home to go look right now. I will look when I get home next week.