Smokin' 501

Started by Jeffro, July 24, 2019, 10:24:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothmar2

Killer look and reel!👍

Swami805

Nice job, fun reel to fish, hope you get to break it in soon.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

mhc

Nice reel, it looks like he did a great job with the anodizing! Those paint ball gun blokes have made dying anodize a real art form.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

El Pescador

Jeffro!

Smok'n Reel!!!  REELY NICE!!!

but where is the "Purchased as a scratch n dent" issue??  I don't see it.

Where & what will you be fishing with this Smokin' 501????

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

mo65

Quote from: El Pescador on July 25, 2019, 03:44:22 PM
Where is the "Purchased as a scratch n dent" issue??  I don't see it.

If people knew how tiny the scratches and dents really are on Alan's discounted Jiggy kits he'd be out of them in a few days. My 501 still has the original anodizing and you have to turn the reel to just the right angle to even see the tiny scratches.  8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

broadway

While it needs a Sal handle let me say that's one bad "tooshy" reel you've created.
Simply beautiful to these eyes.
Thanks for sharing,
Dom

Black Pearl

Quote from: mo65 on July 25, 2019, 04:26:39 PM
Where is the "Purchased as a scratch n dent" issue??  I don't see it.

If people knew how tiny the scratches and dents really are on Alan's discounted Jiggy kits he'd be out of them in a few days. My 501 still has the original anodizing and you have to turn the reel to just the right angle to even see the tiny scratches.  8)

Yeah, It is kind of cheap, but little profit is good enough for me. The scratch n dent kit is $135 that will include one piece frame, right side plate, ball bearings, bearing caps, rod clamp and side plate screws. $190 will give you that kit and a spool. If I had the name as good as Tiburon, I could charge way more. But, I am cool being a little guy.

Alto Mare

Tiburon doesn't offer two piece kits.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Black Pearl

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 25, 2019, 11:01:29 PM
Tiburon doesn't offer two piece kits.

They do. Frame and spool. That is 2 pieces.

Jeffro

Jeffro!

Wayne
"Scratch n dent" was never an issue, very minor.   Weak excuse to help justify playing with refinishing.  I was planning to try it with one of my reels and just picked this one.
Considering spooling with 60 hollow, 40 top shot and using it for SE Alaska Chinook and Halibut.  Would love to do another San Diego trip sometime as well, the only 3-day'er I went on was awesome.  The 40 lb range yellowfin pulled like locomotives compared to what I'm used to but I think this reel would do well.

tristan

Quote from: Jeffro on July 25, 2019, 11:47:00 PM
Jeffro!

Wayne
"Scratch n dent" was never an issue, very minor.   Weak excuse to help justify playing with refinishing.  I was planning to try it with one of my reels and just picked this one.
Considering spooling with 60 hollow, 40 top shot and using it for SE Alaska Chinook and Halibut.  Would love to do another San Diego trip sometime as well, the only 3-day'er I went on was awesome.  The 40 lb range yellowfin pulled like locomotives compared to what I'm used to but I think this reel would do well.

It would!

redsetta

Love it - great work Jeffro!
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Petah

Wow!!!! Just Wow!!!

Peter

Tiddlerbasher

jkel

Nice reel Jeffro! I dig that anodized pattern!