Homemade Kastmaster

Started by oc1, July 26, 2019, 11:39:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

Steve,what is that fish in your last pic ?

oc1

Jeff, how-in-the-heck can you replay before I finishing editing the post?

White trevally (Caranx ignobilis).  Here, they call them papio when under ten pounds and ulua when over ten pounds.  The blue-fin trevally (also called papio when under ten pounds) tastes better IMO.  Sometimes the white ones will have a bit of a iodine taste if the bloody streak is not removed from the side.  It's actually an organ rather than muscle tissue.
-steve

Rivverrat

Quote from: oc1 on August 10, 2019, 08:22:01 PM
Jeff, how-in-the-heck can you replay before I finishing editing the post?

Well Steve I control all of the interwebs  :D

Is that fish pretty prolific in your area ? Kind of like the perch is to fresh water kind of like the perch of the ocean waters in your area ?

Gfish

That's one I never seen or heard about Professor: White Travally. I think the bluefins are the best tasting reef/surf fish I've had so far. Do you know what time a year they spawn?
Great thread buddy.
You're married right Steve? So is your wife a Maryann or more of a Ginger?  
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

oc1

The white ones grow up to be the big ulua or giant trevally (GT for short).

I tried to take a nice picture of a blue fin trevally today to show you how pretty they are, but my phone case fogged up.  Wish I knew how to fix that.

There are a lot of both species (plus yellow spot trevally and yellow stripe trevally) around the inshore and nearshore reefs and that's what a lot of people target.  The young of the year are about 6-8 inches now and the photos above are both two year olds.

I think the white and blue ones spawn in the summer.  The yellow stripe trevally with vertical bars must spawn earlier because I saw some last week that were only about three inches.

Mrs. Howell perhaps.  Mr. Magoo is my hero add I strive to be just like him.

-steve

steelfish

Quote from: oc1 on August 11, 2019, 05:44:44 AM
The white ones grow up to be the big ulua or giant trevally (GT for short).

I tried to take a nice picture of a blue fin trevally today to show you how pretty they are, but my phone case fogged up.  Wish I knew how to fix that.

the mighty GT
its a bucket list fish for many, all fish from the trevally family are pure muscle and offer a great fight

btw, that blue trevally its a beautiful
The Baja Guy

Rivverrat

Ya ! that is a very cool looking fish.

Steve I hope you dont take your access to the water you have there for granted. Dont believe you do based on your posts... Jeff

BrettS

Steve I would be wrong to not comment on your cool rod and reel combinations/style. It never occurred to me that you could just lash a reel on, I like it. What I like more is your homemade kastmasters though, I have got to try that out for myself! I was looking around for stock within minutes of seeing your method but I don't have anything large enough to make a useful weight spoon. If I make anything passable I'll be sure to post some pics, with all of the much deserved credit going to you of course! Thanks for the inspiration.
Catch a big one.

oc1

Quote from: BrettS on August 14, 2019, 11:47:18 PM
I don't have anything large enough to make a useful weight spoon.
There's an invitation to spend some of your money for you Brett  :) :) :)
McMaster Carr and I don't get along well but they do have some stuff.
https://www.mcmaster.com/316-stainless-round-bar
The old three ounce Weber Mr. Champ was cut from about 1.25 to 1.50 inch brass stock, about three inches long, and was then electroplated.  Hopkins spoons are solid stainless.  Brass and stainless have similar densities so the lure sizes are going to be about the same.  Stainless is more difficult to cut.  Anything is possible if you throw money at it. 
-steve

Decker

In a desert-island situation, Steve is the one you want to be stuck with. 8)

xjchad

Quote from: Decker on August 15, 2019, 04:39:52 PM
In a desert-island situation, Steve is the one you want to be stuck with. 8)

That's for sure!!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

BrettS

Steve, I haven't got the equipment to cut stainless. True about throwing money at it... sometimes, but I'd rather save it for gear that isn't gonna get snagged or cut off as often. I don't think I have the equipment for anything harder than brass, and I don't think I'll be getting into the electroplating game. Brass will work for gold as you have shown, have you tried polishing hot rolled steel for a silver color? From what I understand it would be manageable to cut. I know it would rust quick in the salt but maybe a couple dips in poly would keep it flashy till the toothy critters or the rocks get it?
Catch a big one.

oc1

Haven't tried steel or any kind of poly or clear coat.  I wouldn't want to have to cut stainless either.  What I have been doing is putting a piece of holographic (really should be called prismatic) tape with a fish scale pattern on both sides.  It's from Jann's Netcraft.  I don't know how long it will last, but it doesn't tarnish overnight so that's an improvement.

Trouble is, I can't catch anything but little dink reef fish like you would put in your aquarium.

A really pretty birdnose wrasse.  They change sex in mid-life and this one is male already.

A roi or peacock grouper.  They were discussed here before.

Moana, a type of goatfish.

-steve

nelz

That holographic tape is a great solution.

On another note, FYI, Steve, your picture hosting site is blocked by my ad-blocker app. I have to pause it to see your images.

xjchad

Steve,
Do those reels come out of gear to cast, or does the handle spin when casting?

PS - I'm sorry for bugging you so much about your gear lately!  :)
Husband, Father, Fisherman