Penn Squall vs Penn Internatioal

Started by Leckbass, July 26, 2019, 05:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leckbass

Had a recent trip jigging for bluefin.  My buddy was fighting a small 50lb  bluefin on a Penn Squall and he was having trouble bringing in line.  I think that that particular reel had a drag that was shot.  He is a big fan of the International reels.  I know that the international is a high end reel, full aluminum frame... But my understand is that they are the same drag system.  Im comparing the same size reels. 

nelz

Are you comparing it to the Torque or lever drag Internationals?

In either case, the graphite frame of the Squall will never stand up to the same amount of drag pressure as the others, so it doesn't matter if the drags are the same.

Tightlines667

These are very different reels, just look at the schematics for each.  The squall is a pull design with a 30 size cam, different bellevilles, and a single drag surface, the international vsx is a push design with a different cam, and 2 cf drag surfaces working on a single drag plate. 

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

MarkT

His problem was probably the gear ratio, not the drag!  The retrieve per crank is probably much higher on the Squall.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Tightlines667

Quote from: MarkT on July 26, 2019, 07:38:06 PM
His problem was probably the gear ratio, not the drag!  The retrieve per crank is probably much higher on the Squall.

Good point!

I was assuming hevwas comparing the sql 2 speed lever drag 50 to the newer style 50VSX, not the VISW because they are the most similar from the same era.

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Hamachi

Was it a star drag or lever drag reel? They also make levelwind and 2 speed reels. If the exact size and model is known, a better evaluation can be made.
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!

Leckbass

The squall was a sql30vsw and the international was a Penn 30w.

I dont know the exact penn reel, but I know it wasn't the new series with X in it.

akfish

The Squall 30VSW should have been fine for a 50# bft. If your friend had a problem retrieving the line something was amiss. Was it a simple case of braid slipping?
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska