DOMINICK'S FIRST FISHING ROD BUILT FROM SCRATCH

Started by Dominick, July 26, 2019, 11:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

Hi folks interested in rod building.  I purchase the components from Jon Vadney.  Thank you Jon.  I made a bunch of mistakes and there was a lot of stop and go but I think the result was not bad for a rookie.  This will be my salmon rod.  Here are some photos but don't look too closely.  Dominick

I imbedded a Mercury dime and an Indian head penny in the blank.

I hope you enjoy the photos.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

foakes

Nice work, Dominick —

With a ten cent Mercury & a one cent Indian — that must be your 11 cent salmon rod...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

CooldadE

Nice job Dominick ! I like the Mercury dime... does it have any significance ?

Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Donnyboat

Looks great Dominick, you must be a wealthy man to have all those coins, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

steelfish

wow compadre Dom, awesome rod !!

the marbling is really amazing, that's something I still need to explore one day.
what blank do you used for this beauty?
The Baja Guy

Rivverrat

I think this is Freaking! Fantastic!

Most fellas half your age are to busy argueing about what they think know to ever & I mean ever learn something new.

Good for you.

I hope my fingers & hands work as I get closer to your age. It's not looking good right now though... Jeff

sundancer

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

David Hall

Well executed counselor! Er uhm I mean nice job.

Swami805

Very nice rod, I'm sure you'll enjoy fishing it as much as you did building it. I'd bet you're already thinking about what you'll build next! All those reels need a home.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

steelfish

Quote from: Swami805 on July 27, 2019, 02:01:35 AM
I'd bet you're already thinking about what you'll build next!

haha
I remember when my amigo Sheridan told me these exact Words and I though, man how this guy know what Im thinking? he must be a kind of wizzard or something
The Baja Guy

Cor

Great job!
You did not start in the simplest and easiest way either, with those fancy wrappings and marbling!
Cornelis

Darin Crofton

Great job, Dominick, way to go on your first rod, looks great with coins too!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Beautiful work Dominick!  If you ever get tired of practicing law, you could have a great future in the rod building business.