Torque 12 Star Drag arrived today

Started by mrbrklyn, July 27, 2019, 02:10:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbrklyn

So the new Penn Star Drag Torque arrived this week and I ran down to the tackle shop (shout out to Stretch at Stella Maris in Sheepshead Bay) and we loaded it up with 150 Yards of 40 pound yellow power pro braid.  I ran to the boat and tried it out on a Sea Bass and Porgy run.  I put 12 feet of 30 pound flouro that I picked up from Black Pearl who is hiding somewhere on the forum ( https://www.mkt.com/pro-challenger-llc ) and used very small 2 Gamakatsu circle hooks on 40 lb flourocarbon all loaded up on my pink custom porgy stick and a 4 ounce bank lead.

So much overkill to catch a $2 fish :)

I figured I would bring in a buck of two of fish.

The reel, and this is my third torque, was fabulous and immediately got put to a moderate test when we rolled up to the McAllister grounds and landed an unexpected 26 in Black Sea Bass.  The adjustment on the star drag was smooth and steady, even more so when I unexpectedly hit a 24 inch fluke.  It was a day of catching the unexpected, with Eels, Snappers, Triggers... seemlingly anything but the expected scup.   I still caught enough fish to distribute to passangers on the boat.  I probably pulled in about 60 fish altogether on very light tackel and the precision of the Torque made it all seem mundane.

What is most interesting, at least to me, is that the reputation for this reel is that it is weighty.  I find that the 12 on my light tackle matches up very nicely.  I don't feel any weight, and the drag and spool is so fine, that It fishes very very very light.

I noticed much of the improvements in this later model.  It is a very positive fishing experience and I am very glad I picked this reel out before they go off the market.

MarkT

150' of 40# Powerpro and 12' of 30# fluoro? You run it mostly empty?
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Rivverrat

The Torques are / were benchmark reels. I to love the Torque 12. Mine are loaded with a little more than a 150 yards of 60 braid with 50 or the same weight mono leader. Need no more than that for my specific use.

I also have heard the latest versions of the Torques referred to as heavy, tanks etc. In light of the fact we now have 4/0 size, 15 -18 oz. two speeds capable of fishing 60 line they may have a point with this in mind.

However few if any reels offer the same level of handling characteristics, overall performance & bullet proof durability as the Torque 12 or 15.

Stuck with one reel for the majority of my fishing the Penn Torque 12 would be it.  

From small bass to catfish well over 50 lbs.
From about 1/8 oz to over 1 lb. weights & baits it can do most every thing I need done at least good enough or better than most any other reel made.

Simply no better star drag made.

Maybe ever ? ... Jeff

Ron Jones

I'm thinking you meant yards, not feet.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Tunanorth

Quote from: Rivverrat on July 27, 2019, 05:13:47 PM
The Torques are / were benchmark reels.
 I also have heard the latest versions of the Torques referred to as heavy, tanks etc. In light of the fact we now have 4/0 size, 15 -18 oz. two speeds capable of fishing 60 line they may have a point with this in mind.
Simply no better star drag made.
Maybe ever ? ... Jeff

Some funny observations from interacting with a LOT of consumers regarding these reels over the years.
Virtually everybody who refers to them as "tanks" is confused, and referring to the Gen1's.
They may claim to be talking about the newer ones, but when you probe a little more, its plain they mean the 100, 200, 300 TRQ star drags.
Another one of my favorites, "Well, they LOOK heavier.......".
Very true that PENN never really advertised them, so the majority of the fishing public literally did not know they existed.
Also true that the Accurate "Valiant" 2-speed series has taken a lot of mass out of their compact 2-speeds, but they did not stop making their other "medium" and "heavy" frame models, and nobody else has taken lightness to that extreme.
I've got an assortment of both black and gold ones in size 12, 15, 25N, 30, and 40, which I am hanging on to!

nelz

mrbrklyn - Holy cow, a 26 in Black Sea Bass, that is huge!

Jeff - yeah, my TRQ100 is a heavy tank alright. I changed out the star to the plastic one from a Baja just to lighten it down a bit. The solid steel star and power handle is overkill!  Wish I could find a balanced aluminum handle to fit it, but nobody makes them.

Rivverrat

Quote from: nelz on July 27, 2019, 09:12:17 PM
mrbrklyn - Holy cow, a 26 in Black Sea Bass, that is huge!

Jeff -  Wish I could find a balanced aluminum handle to fit it, but nobody makes them.
Try Tiburon.

nelz

The shaft of the TRQ100 is square, same size as the Baja Special, (same drag too). Yes folks, that little reel has some serious guts!

Anyway, I've only found power handles to fit the square shaft, not balanced. Mrbrklyn, are you saying the handle from a Fathom IIs 15 levelwind will fit?

Rivverrat

No reel is perfect. Even as much as I like the most recent line of Torque Star Drags there a couple of things that could be better. One is the stock handle I replace all mine with the Tiburon offering & knob. The stock handle flexes to much when these reels are pushed. The Tib offering completely takes care of this.

Second issue when you fish a reel in hand for 3- 4 days straight of every week for 12 hours or more things show up & this may be just me, is the sharp edges. Particularly the bottom inside edge of the gear box where the gear cover meets the right side plate. Small complaints for such a wonderful reel.

nelz

Quote from: Rivverrat on July 28, 2019, 08:04:00 PMThe stock handle flexes to much when these reels are pushed.

That's ironic since the first gen Torque goes to the other extreme with a massive handle that's the same as the Baja Special's. I suppose it works for the 200/300 but they even put it on the little 100.

Rivverrat

How do you have your spool tension adjusted ?

How much side to side play does the spool have when using your reel.

Somethings up I've yet to experience this my self. This same cap & rubber O ring arrangement is used in other Penn reels.

This has me perplexed... Jeff

alantani

ideally, zero load, zero freeplay. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

joel8080

Alan

Do you think 2 of the rubber O rings would work/fit? & hold the cap tighter.

I have a TRQ 12 for a few years love it but since I heard of the caps falling off I have been worried about the cap falling off.

joel8080
Oceanside,California

nelz

Here's a suggestion, a fix I've used on Abu's. Wrap some teflon plumber's tape on the threads enough for the cap to screw on snugly. It will keep the cap well sealed as well.  ;D

alantani

Quote from: nelz on July 29, 2019, 04:40:18 PM
Here's a suggestion, a fix I've used on Abu's. Wrap some teflon plumber's tape on the threads enough for the cap to screw on snugly. It will keep the cap well sealed as well.  ;D

yup!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!