New to Site and First Question

Started by CaptKrunch, July 28, 2019, 12:47:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptKrunch

Hello.
I have just started working on my Penn Reels and in my research came across this site. I am very thankful for all of the info that is here.
My journey started when I took a 320 Gt apart begause the levelwind wasnt working right and I thought how hard could it be?? 2 years later I pulled it out of the plastic bag and put it back together with the help from here. Plastic gears matched up to metal will not last long.

So after going through 2 of the 8 320's I have, I decided to try one of the Senators. Lots of info on those. Cant figure out which model it is other than it has the clicker. So anyway I get it apart, first time since I have had it, and it appears that it has never been apart. I could not get the drag stack out through the handle and after tear down, Found 3 green fiber washers and 3 metal washers. Was not expecting that. They have worked very well and the only reason for going through it was I have had it for several years and it has never been open. Wiped the drags down, did not grease them, and serviced the reel.

After looking through the site, I am not sure of what I have. Are these aftermarket drags, are they original, or are they the asbestos ones that I saw on one of the other threads?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Sometimes  you are the reason for the safety meeting and somedays you are the only one they call to do the dumbs**t

alantani

these are the old aftermarket smooth drags.  we really don't use them anymore because they stick.  smoothdrag.com now has a carbon fiber washer that goes under the main gear and there is a set of #6-320 penn ht-100 drag washers that go inside.   grease all of them with cal's drag grease and you should be all set.  you will also need a couple of more metal washers.  the guy that worked on this reel last must have held on to them.  if you need a set, let me know.  thanks and welcome!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

CaptKrunch

Thanks. I do not know when they were put in. I have had the reel for about 8 or 9 years and it has not been worked on in that time. As with a few other ones, I cant remember where it came from so there is no telling when they were put in.

I already have a few items that I have to order, such as the updated levelwind parts, so I will add the HT100 drag set to that.
Sometimes  you are the reason for the safety meeting and somedays you are the only one they call to do the dumbs**t

nelz

Ah, the ol' "reel in a bag" rescue.  ;D  Welcome aboard CaptK.

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Alto Mare

Welcome captain! Some have claimed in the past that those washers do good in really cold climate, I couldn't confirm.

Put it a set of carbon fiber washers, as the boss has suggested and you can't go wrong.
Enjoy your stay here.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Gfish

On the Senator where you "could not get the drag stack out through the handle", if there's a drag washer-diameter hole in the side-plate, it might be a 113H. A very popular model and plenty of up-grades are avalible.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

foakes

Welcome aboard!

20 or more years ago — I used plenty of those thin, hard, light green washers from Smooth Drag.

I have another dozen green sets in my Offshore service and repair "go-bag" — but I should switch them out for CF's.  Bryan, Smooth-Drag, Mystic, Penn, and Alan — have plenty of these for your reels.

The brown marbled ones are Newell discs — very similar.

They were an upgrade from stock Penn drags.

However, like Alan said — after a couple of demanding trips where they got hot — soon they would not be smooth anymore — just sticky.

Daiwa started using and selling pre-greased drags that operated better — but most would only fit Daiwa reels.  But I noticed that even though they were a felt type drag washer impregnated with grease — they were lasting much longer for the rock cod guys than the light greenies.

When I learned about greasing CF's & HT-100's with Cal's grease from Alan — it worked so well, I never put in another hard washer, unless it was a restore for display, or a reel that would not be used hard.

And the greased CF's will nearly last forever — always operate smoothly from startup to lockdown — and give you complete and instant control over your drag system as you work a large fish.

And even in a little "9", 209, LB, Jigmaster, Squidder, or large Senator — folks rave about how smooth and effective the drag systems are after getting their reels back.

Thanks, Alan!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Benni3

Welcome from salem Virginia,,,,,,, ;D

Donnyboat

Welcome Capt, your not sure what Senator your working on, there should be a round circle on the handle side face plate, in that circle it should have 1/0 or 2/0 & so on, if it is a 4/0 special Senator it could have it in the other plate, commonly referd to as the tail plate, the carbon fibre drag washer, are the only way to go, with some Cals grease, or a teflon grease, it will give you a nice smooth start up, & if you have the drag reel tight be careful you don`t get dragged out of the boat, carbon fibre & teflon grease will handle a lot of heat. cheers Don. with the level line on the 320`s, some time a thin teflon washer behind the paul will get it going good with plenty of lube, possibly TSI 321 oil is good.
Don, or donnyboat

CaptKrunch

Thanks for the welcome. The real is a 4/0 113H. I can get to the drag stack through the handle, they just would not come out until I had it broke down.  The last fiber and metal washers took a little more coaxing.

Starting to learn about these things and am grateful that there is somewhere to get the information.

day0ne

Go to Mysticparts.com and order 6-113HSP. Kit Contains:
(5) 6-113H HT-100™ FIBER WASHERS
(1) 86-113H THICK KEYED ROUND METAL WASHER
(3) 86-970 THIN KEYED ROUND METAL WASHERS
(2) 7-970 THIN EARED METAL WASHERS

Everything you need for $11.05
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

happyhooker

Greetings, CK, from Minnesota USA.  Looks like you've got some of the "best minds" on your issue.

Frank

Bill B

Slowly now guys, dont jerk the hook.....looks like he's taking the bait, and soon we will have turned another to the Darkside....  ;D  Welocme captain....you have stumbled upon some of the best people on earth here.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

mo65

Welcome aboard! There's a seemingly endless supply of reel knowledge here...soak it up slow...so as not to go cross eyed. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~