DOMINICK'S FIRST FISHING ROD BUILT FROM SCRATCH

Started by Dominick, July 26, 2019, 11:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhc

Quote from: foakes on July 26, 2019, 11:43:14 PM
Nice work, Dominick —

With a ten cent Mercury & a one cent Indian — that must be your 11 cent salmon rod...

Best,

Fred

Well done Dominick, your 11 cent salmon rod looks great. I'm looking forward to a 60 - 80 cent tuna rod or an open check trolling rod next!  ;D

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

oc1

Good going.  But, I have a rookie question....  So, what the heck is that marbling stuff and how do you put it on?  I've seen pictures (none better than yours) but can't fathom it. 
-steve

Rivverrat

Steve, it's color added to epoxy. Either a powder purchased from Voodoo rods or Testor's model paint added to your finish epoxy. Very easy to work with though with most stuff there is a learning curve. The best at it devolop their own style such as Jon Vadney. I'm still working at  how I like the final out come of my marbling.

Here is Jon Vadney marbling in action here  

Brewcrafter

Tiddlerbasher

mo65

Fantastic Dominick...I'm impressed...well done! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Fishy247

Very nicely done Dom!

Welcome to the other dark side... ;)

oldmanjoe

:) :)   Well done , you jumped in with both feet .    Marbling , thread work and overlay work , nice color combination .  How about some more pictures .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Mjg378

Very nice!
What reel did you pair up with it?

Dominick

Quote from: CooldadE on July 26, 2019, 11:45:52 PM
Nice job Dominick ! I like the Mercury dime... does it have any significance ?

Cool

None except for the red white and blue (and silver).

Quote from: Vintage Offshore Tackle on July 27, 2019, 05:59:32 AM
Beautiful work Dominick!  If you ever get tired of practicing law, you could have a great future in the rod building business.

I already got tired of practicing law.  I put my license on the voluntary inactive list.  I am still a lawyer but am not allowed to practice until I reactivate.

Quote from: foakes on July 26, 2019, 11:43:14 PM
Nice work, Dominick —

With a ten cent Mercury & a one cent Indian — that must be your 11 cent salmon rod...

Best,

Fred

When all is accounted for it is one of my expensive rods.  If I add in my time I'll break records.

Quote from: Fishy247 on July 27, 2019, 04:42:55 PM
Very nicely done Dom!

Welcome to the other dark side... ;)

Yep, I now have a rockfish blank.  I am waiting for the components.

Quote from: oc1 on July 27, 2019, 07:04:40 AM
Good going.  But, I have a rookie question....  So, what the heck is that marbling stuff and how do you put it on?  I've seen pictures (none better than yours) but can't fathom it.  
-steve

That video above shows what I did.  I purchased color pigments from Tap Plastics.

Quote from: Mjg378 on July 27, 2019, 09:25:47 PM
Very nice!
What reel did you pair up with it?

I have a Cortez Conversion reel that Ben (Alan's Friend) gave me.  I need to have line put on it.

Quote from: oldmanjoe on July 27, 2019, 04:45:30 PM
:) :)   Well done , you jumped in with both feet .    Marbling , thread work and overlay work , nice color combination .  How about some more pictures .

It really is difficult to photograph a fishing rod.  The couple of pics show the basics.

Quote from: steelfish on July 27, 2019, 12:04:59 AM
wow compadre Dom, awesome rod !!

the marbling is really amazing, that's something I still need to explore one day.
what blank do you used for this beauty?

Seeker 330.  

Thank you all for the wonderful comments. As I said above I am happy with the way it turned out.  The next one should be better.  I am not going to go crazy here but Wayne's wife, Jennifer paid for a blank and I have all the components on the bench.  She wants to give it to Wayne as a birthday gift.  His is July 29th, he'll have to wait.  I am too busy procrastinating to get to it.   :D  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.