money pit......even more than my Penn reel addiction

Started by milne, July 30, 2019, 11:13:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WeyeFisherCO

I recommend Super Lube Silicone Dielectric Grease on all electrical connections. 

I went thru my 2007 Lund this year and cleaned all my connections with a wire detailing brush, applied dielectric grease to both sides, and reassembled.  That took case of excessive voltage drops on several of the circuits.  If any of the slide terminals were loose I squeezed them a little until they fit snug. 

Boats take a beating and need a little TLC (even when they are stored inside like mine is). 

milne

Quote from: Gfish on May 20, 2020, 05:04:25 PM
Col, et.al., do you use any coating of some kind to protect wire connections when done?

My Apologies Gfish, I missed your post,, Yes, as per WeyeFisherCO's post, yes definitely, I use a dielectric grease on all my connections.
Salt water is a killer of wiring in a boat, even tinned wire, it's a bit like the hull of a boat moored, it's not a case of if it gets barnicles stuck underneath, it's a case of when and how long.
My Boat project has sort of been on hold of late, I've managed to tinker a wee bit here and there, but haven't been able to allocate enough time to dedicate to it. It's kind of a job that you need at least 3-4 hours straight at any given time, or you loose track of where and what you were up too.
At the minute I've been mounting breather pipes and water filter/separator down back.  I do need to pull finger though, as I'm hoping to get a new 4 stroke fitted when the sales come on in May-June. It will be nice to have the boat back on the water, let me tell you...

Col

Rancanfish

Hey Col,  get back to it brother!  Here's my latest painted parts.  Slow and sure,  primer, 3 coats paint, 3 coats clear,  wait a week and then buff.

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

thorhammer

Rancanfish

Yessir, runs good, came with my Whaler.  I bought a second complete engine for the trim and tilt,  then found this t&t in great shape for $50 on craigslist.  The second outboard is supposedly rebuilt but the guy couldn't start it.  I haven't had time to even play with that motor yet.  $200 for that deal.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

milne

Quote from: Rancanfish on February 11, 2021, 05:49:56 PM
Hey Col,  get back to it brother!  Here's my latest painted parts.  Slow and sure,  primer, 3 coats paint, 3 coats clear,  wait a week and then buff.

Wow, That is sure looking the goods there !! It will come up like a brand new motor !! Brilliant.
It's a slow process this boat re building Caper isn't it, But every time you get a wee bit done, its getting closer to the end target..
I've seriously learned some new skills along my journey, which I recon is part of what it's all about.
Great progress happening there Rancan !! Very nice work indeed...

Col

milne

Can't believe the date of my last post on my thread here !!.

BUT, Along with a few other things that stalled my boat progress over the last 12 months, the good news is, that in 2 days, the old girl will be sea worthy again. It's amazing how projects get side tracked and completion dates keep rolling on, like life.

I'll get some photo's up over the next couple of days, before she get's dropped into the marine shop for the new 4 stroke to be fitted  ;D.

Were my eyes to big for me belly ? would I take on another project like this again ?  Hell no/yes !!. I take my hat off to those in the industry, it's easy to complain about what the cost of rebuilding a boat is, when you get on the phone and ring around, but in all honesty, it probably would have been way cheaper had I have out laid the coin and got a professional to do the job  !!  But even though it's taken near 4 years, and countless hours, the whole journey has been such a learning curve. I might of mentioned this before, but my wiring when I removed it, was completely coated with the green stuff we often see and clean off our reels !, some parts of the wiring, actually collapsed in my hands when removing it, Jeez, that's a fire just waiting to happen. beforehand, had I had an electrical issue while out on the water, I would have been stranded without a clue, like a stunned mullet !.
So putting myself through all this, has actually helped me understand a whole lot of stuff that I had absolutely no idea on. I'd never before had anything to do with fibre glassing, yet alone stripping the boat to the bare hull and removing the transom, the structural bum of the boat..

Anyways, a few wee jobs before taking it in Monday for a new u-bute Donk, so I'll take a couple of finished picks of the hull.
She's only a little 18 fter  but like most things I own, I can't seem to sell or scrap anything, if it at all can be restored...

Col 

Gfish

Cool. Love to see some pictures. I've found at times, stretching-out a project gives me better perspective. Pushing to get a project done can result in shoddy, hurried work that doesn't last.
Even on my simplistic kayak wiring(motor and fish-finder systems) it's a constant upkeep deal. Easy access to terminals is a thing, but not always feasible.
Thankfully my long uncluttered living room can a temporary dry-dock!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Congratulations Col!  I'm sure that you had at least a few moments when you were tempted to give up, and you had the fortitude to battle through them.

Now you have a boat that you can trust, and know every inch of, and can go to sea with the confidence that you can deal with any issue that might arise.

Here's to many years chasing the fish of your dreams!

Randy

David Hall

Cant wait to see the latest pics.   A long journey is coming to a close and a new one beginning.
there must be fishing pics to follow.

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Donnyboat

Should be good Col, you can go a long way with an 18 footer, in the right conditions, you should get many years of safe boating after all the work you have done there, and many good feeds of fish, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Donnyboat

By the way Col how did the shifting go, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

milne

Hi Don,  All I can say is,  This will be my last move !!!  ;D

Hope all is well over your side Don.

Col

milne

So I pulled her out of it's sleeping place, ready for tomorrows drive to the marine shop for it's new Donk.

Still needs a sun protection canopy or what we call a bimini... And the gunwhale rubber, just plain run out of time to get that fitted on time.
Electronics still have to go in, still mulling over what brand and transducer options to use.

She's just a little "big boat", nothing as big and flash as you blokes have state side, but it's small enough to do the rivers and lakes, but she absolutely loves it out wide in the blue stuff. Because of it's small cuddy cabin up front, there's a heap of deck space room to fish from. I still pick my days of course, but she has accounted for some nice bill fish out wide over the years, they made these old dinosaur hulls thick and tough, Bit like me, with out the tough part  ;D