alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial money pit......even more than my Penn reel addiction
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
March 02, 2021, 04:05:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: money pit......even more than my Penn reel addiction  (Read 6102 times)
WeyeFisherCO

« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2020, 01:56:44 AM »

I recommend Super Lube Silicone Dielectric Grease on all electrical connections. 

I went thru my 2007 Lund this year and cleaned all my connections with a wire detailing brush, applied dielectric grease to both sides, and reassembled.  That took case of excessive voltage drops on several of the circuits.  If any of the slide terminals were loose I squeezed them a little until they fit snug. 

Boats take a beating and need a little TLC (even when they are stored inside like mine is). 

milne

« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2021, 02:23:14 AM »

Col, et.al., do you use any coating of some kind to protect wire connections when done?

My Apologies Gfish, I missed your post,, Yes, as per WeyeFisherCO's post, yes definitely, I use a dielectric grease on all my connections.
Salt water is a killer of wiring in a boat, even tinned wire, it's a bit like the hull of a boat moored, it's not a case of if it gets barnicles stuck underneath, it's a case of when and how long.
My Boat project has sort of been on hold of late, I've managed to tinker a wee bit here and there, but haven't been able to allocate enough time to dedicate to it. It's kind of a job that you need at least 3-4 hours straight at any given time, or you loose track of where and what you were up too.
At the minute I've been mounting breather pipes and water filter/separator down back.  I do need to pull finger though, as I'm hoping to get a new 4 stroke fitted when the sales come on in May-June. It will be nice to have the boat back on the water, let me tell you...

Col
Rancanfish
Firearms Group

« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2021, 05:49:56 PM »

Hey Col,  get back to it brother!  Here's my latest painted parts.  Slow and sure,  primer, 3 coats paint, 3 coats clear,  wait a week and then buff.

* 20210211_094532.jpg (2330.11 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 6 times.)

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.
thorhammer
Firearms Group

"You can't drank all day if you don't start..."

« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2021, 06:38:36 PM »

Johnson VRO 70?
Rancanfish
Firearms Group

« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2021, 06:55:15 PM »

Yessir, runs good, came with my Whaler.  I bought a second complete engine for the trim and tilt,  then found this t&t in great shape for $50 on craigslist.  The second outboard is supposedly rebuilt but the guy couldn't start it.  I haven't had time to even play with that motor yet.  $200 for that deal.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 06:56:19 PM by Rancanfish » Logged

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.
milne

« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2021, 07:55:00 PM »

Hey Col,  get back to it brother!  Here's my latest painted parts.  Slow and sure,  primer, 3 coats paint, 3 coats clear,  wait a week and then buff.

Wow, That is sure looking the goods there !! It will come up like a brand new motor !! Brilliant.
 It's a slow process this boat re building Caper isn't it, But every time you get a wee bit done, its getting closer to the end target..
 I've seriously learned some new skills along my journey, which I recon is part of what it's all about.
Great progress happening there Rancan !! Very nice work indeed...

Col
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: