Correct Penn 309 Spool Tightening - Play or No Play?

Started by Ontherock, July 30, 2019, 09:21:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ontherock

Hi:

Just finished some maintenance on my 309 and was tightening up the spool bearing when I realized that I couldn't remember if it had to be tightened up so there was zero sideways play on the spool or if the spool should have "some" movement ???
Tried searching and found a "yes" to both options.
What do you recommend?
If "yes" to some movement, how much?

RowdyW

Slight side to side movement.  .0025 to .005"        Rudy

akfish

Remember that the spool end bearings are NOT meant to be a cast control so there should always be a tiny bit of side to side play. And it's important to check this periodically because heat and humidity will cause the side plates to swell or shrink and thus affect the side to side spool play.cIf you keep it too tight you'll damage the bearings. And if you keep tightening the spool end bearing every time you fish you can actually damage the side plates.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

foakes

And, on all of the Penn conventional reels — I always assemble the frame first, getting everything snug — not overtight.  Then I install the spool tensioner spring and knob control lastly.

This is the safest bet so that parts like sideplates are not cracked upon reassembly.

Same goes for the LevelWind assembly with the spring loaded tensioners.

And the post below the LW mechanism in the front always goes on last — after the LW system is in place.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Ontherock

Guys thanks for all the help - really appreciate the quick responses!
I had tightened it up and then slacked it off just to the point of zero side play but couldn't remember if that was the correct set-up or not so I thought I'd better ask. Should have taken note of that during disassembly - newbie to be sure!