Ambassadeur Mag III

Started by eddeb3, July 30, 2019, 10:47:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eddeb3

Howdy All, I picked up a nice clean Abu Mag III last week. Dawn is shipping me new drag washers but I am having trouble removing the handle side plate. After removing the 3 screws, the plate resists my gentle but firm efforts to remove it.

Questions: What am I missing?

Thanks for your thoughts/comments.

Ed

aka eddeb3

hurt locker

There maybe an E-clip on the end of the spool axle under the cast control cap. Fooled me for awhile first time I opened one up,

alantani

Hold the side plate and gently tap the gear sleeve.  That should do it!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

mikeysm

It has a plastic bushing that hangs up in the side cover. You can get the bearing kit for it from black dog tackle in the UK. It take about a week to get.

Mike

eddeb3

Many thanks gentlemen! I will proceed. This is a nifty little reel "as is." ....will toss a Tony Accetta #7 spoon way out yonder...big Jack Crevalle are about the toughest fish on my menu...I really need to get those "Smooth Drag" washers in place ....to be on the safe side!   :) Thanks again.

eddeb3

Aside from attempting distance records for skipping "e" rings across the office, the disassembly per your directions/comments went very smoothly. My Abu Mag 3, sporting a new Smooth Drag washer, is ready for business. Many thanks again fellows!!   :)

Tight lines,

Ed

MarkT

Good deal, now go get them!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Gfish

I've got the earlier ultra mag XL V. Pretty cool, with the completely disengaging levelwind system. Yours has that feature right?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

eddeb3

Yes, mine has the disengaging level wind feature also.....really cool, that! This reel sure is a far cry from the revolving spool reels I grew up with...Shakespeare Direct Drive knuckle-busters...w/ Cuttyhunk line....  :-*

mikeysm

Here are my two ultramag xl 3 reels. One is stock and the other is super modified.

eddeb3

...really nice reels, Mike!  :)

mikeysm

Take care of the of the one you have they are very rare now. I check now and then and I cannot find any. So good luck with your reel.

Mike

eddeb3

Good advice, Mike. Thank you. This Mag 3 will be one of the "legacy reels" that my grandson will receive when the time comes.