Purple pine cones?

Started by gstours, July 31, 2019, 03:36:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Just wondering if you have ever seen these?  Clearly not the usual green, to almost tan,brown cones I'm used to seeing.  Very cool 😎 color.   Just saying.

gstours

Maybe it's just the sunlight dialating me eyes?

RowdyW

It must be dialating the cameras eye too. It looks purple to me too.           Rudy

foakes

That looks like, and may be — a blue spruce pine tree, Gary —

They have lavender or light purple cones.

Since we lost so many Ponderosa Pines 3 years ago — we have been planting trees.  They won't be big in our lifetime — but as caretakers of this land, we felt a responsibility to start some now.

We still have on our property some pines, fir trees, lots of cedars, oaks, and manzanita, plus apple trees.

The trees we have bought are in 15 gallon tubs — they come from down the road at Welkers — a mountain Nursery a mile away.  So at 4500', they are already used to the environment.

Instead of a traditional dead Christmas tree last year, we bought a 15 gallon Blue Fir.  We put lights on it, ornaments, kept it watered — then planted it on the hillside in January.  It is thriving. 

The best investment I may have made in the last year, was a gas powered auger.  It will dig a hole 24" deep and 6" diameter.  5 holes can be dug in a circle within less than 5 minutes.  Clean out the hole and plant a tree.  What took me 20 minutes previously — now takes 5 minutes — and no blisters, or tiredness.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Rivverrat

Fred as as usual is correct. That is a Blue Spruce a female. The females produce purple cones that are mostly in the top portion of the tree. This helps with pollination. Purple coloring in any other portion of these trees can be a death sentence for them... Jeff