400 lbs.Goliath Grouper

Started by Alto Mare, July 31, 2019, 10:34:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Bri-Bri, just wanted you to know that your Ultimate Drag Kits are doing just fine.
This monster was caught by Dwight (Newell Nut) on his 9/0 with your drags.

I hope you don't mind me posting your pic Dwight.
If you don't mind, post one yourself, this one isn't the best for showing that amazing fish...great work buddy!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Jeffro

What a load to reel in!  A few years ago I got a first-gen 9/0 from a guy in Florida.  Reel had a bent foot and metal drag washers were rainbow colored from heat... 
I asked him what in the world it was used for and he said his Grandfather fished for grouper with it.

Alto Mare

This one was stock 🙂.
I did give him double dogs and a stainless steel sleeve. Oh it also has the ultimate drags upgrade.

The reel did really good, if you add the total cost you'll come up around $250, I'm not sure if I gave him one of my handle on this one.

Not a bad deal if you ask me.
Of course I wouldn't mind adding Tom's kit, that would really finish it up.
I was talking to Dwight today about Tom's frame and plates as well.

The 9/0 is a killer reel... depending of what you use it for of course.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Benni3

This is a amazing accomplishment,,,,,,, ;)

MarkT

To hell with the drags, it's all about Dwight's back... it's a good thing he's a body builder!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Alto Mare

Quote from: MarkT on August 03, 2019, 03:33:00 AM
To hell with the drags, it's all about Dwight's back... it's a good thing he's a body builder!
I could have brought than monster to the boat, using his rod and reel and I'm not a body builder :)

Benni3

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 03, 2019, 12:37:33 PM
I could have brought than monster to the boat, using his rod and reel and I'm not a body builder :)
I know you can uncle sal,,,, ;) I got one big one up to the boat and got off,,,,, >:( then landed a small one every muscle in my body hurt,,,,, :D then the captain said you really to go again,,,,,, :o,,,,,, ;D

steelfish

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 03, 2019, 12:37:33 PM

Sal, you are not a body builder but you are a house builder, so, kind of the same !!
he pays to lifts weights and you are paid for lift bricks and cement sacks both grow more muscle mass than average person.

Im with Martk on this, great for the drag kit and show everybody that they work, but you really need strength and power to hold 35#-40# or more for several minutes, this is the kind of fish that will test you complete fishing gear, the line, the rod, the reel and your body.

The Baja Guy

thorhammer

Don't let Sal try to fool you- if you haven't shaken his hand- it's like a bench vise with a smile and a huge heart attached to it!!!!

Newell Nut

Hey Guys, I would not want to fight that thing standup style. I built a bent butt rod that sits off the port side of the bow where I can keep an eye on it while bottom fishing in the back corner. That fish pounded that rod fighting the weight of the boat while I turned the handle. I may be stronger than average but I am also smarter than a lab rat. If I fought that fish standup style I would still be hurting this week. ;D ;D

Dwight

steelfish

Quote from: thorhammer on August 05, 2019, 04:25:49 PM
Don't let Sal try to fool you- if you haven't shaken his hand- it's like a bench vise with a smile and a huge heart attached to it!!!!

of course I dont, I have many friends and family that have the same kind of work than Sal and they are really strong guys
The Baja Guy

thorhammer

Hey Dwight , I'm building a similar dead stick rig for like use- no Goliaths up here, but big nasty donkeys abound. I'm gonna use one of my Cortez 9/0's. That'll learn em..   :)

Newell Nut

The Rainshadow Stub 80 is a serious meat stick. Only need two rollers and roller top. All of mine is Batson Enterprise parts from Get Bit Outdoors.

The original purpose of mine was AJs and Cobia but hanging a live bait down at 30 feet has given us some huge surprises. It is our most exciting rod because you never know what is going to get on it. Mangos are line shy and picky eaters and we have caught two 14 pounders on that stick with 139 lb leader and big circle hook. Hope have just as many surprises as we have had. Not a single cobia yet and only one AJ.

Dwight

thorhammer

sometimes on bottom or mostly mid-column, but cant the AJ's off it, lol. Running 100lb topshot with a 10/0 circle hook. that's the fun part- mystery fish