Sticky or gooey handle knobs

Started by Fishead, July 31, 2019, 01:18:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Hi FH —

IMO, if you are going to fish the reel — upgrade the crank knob to something that you like and are comfortable with — performance-wise...

If you are going to "shelf" the reel — original is good.

Gotta remember — just like each of us, manufacturers make mistakes also — but those of us with better knowledge — do not have to live with inferior materials, or a manufacturer's mistake — we move above and forward.

We do this with all manufacturers — not just Shimano.

If you will post a pic of your handle — and you want to go original — someone on here will have a crank for you.  I will check my loose crank bins — there are at least 600-700 in there from the 40's up to today.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Fishead

One of the reels with goo is a TE 400 with a TN 14 handle that I do fish. I really don't want a bigger knob, it goes in gear every so often if I try and make a really long cast. That handle is just heavy enough to engage the reel when I try the long cast but I've learned to work with it. I may have to go with one of the black aluminum handles even though I prefer the rubber style grip.
If you're not fishing,you're wishing you were!!

steelfish

Quote from: Fishead on August 01, 2019, 07:00:19 PM
One of the reels with goo is a TE 400 with a TN 14 handle that I do fish. I really don't want a bigger knob, it goes in gear every so often if I try and make a really long cast. That handle is just heavy enough to engage the reel when I try the long cast but I've learned to work with it. I may have to go with one of the black aluminum handles even though I prefer the rubber style grip.

gotcha !!  I have the same set-up on my TE400

still, you only way to find a complet handle assembly on ebay if you are happy with the stock trini14 or drill out the knob and install another comfy round knob, there are some nice EVA round knobs that offer less weight in order to prevent activate the drag on a cast on the calcutta

https://squareup.com/market/pro-challenger-llc/item/eva-knobs
these ones from our friend Alan are the cream of the creame
The Baja Guy

oc1

That handle is just heavy enough to engage the reel when I try the long cast
A double handle or a counter balanced handle will fix that.
-steve

steelfish

Quote from: oc1 on August 01, 2019, 10:52:49 PM
That handle is just heavy enough to engage the reel when I try the long cast
A double handle or a counter balanced handle will fix that.
-steve

Steve, the trini 12 and 14 stock handle is counter balanced, but the knob is heavier than the counter balance weight.
the Calcutta 400TE is really sensitive to the handle to activate the drag, I have the same setup and understand why he dont want to install a heavier knob, but I think the stock small knob on the trini14 handle is too heavy for its size compared to other options.

that knob is a ball of solid rubber
The Baja Guy

happyhooker

Was reading an online Sport Fishing magazine article from 2018, and a Shimano rep stated some of the handles on the old reels got sticky from suntan lotion.  Says a new solution took 3 yrs. to come by.  No mention if Shimano will make good on any repair.

Frank

Zimbass

This is a problem with many of the Shimano handle knobs, especially the low profile models. Some are too far gone to do anything with, so I replace them. Shimano does not always show the knobs as a separate item on their spares site, but they are available if you search the web.

The issue according to Bantam 1, of Shimano, is sunscreen lotion. I know this to be a fact, as I used to have issues with my own reels. Being careful to wash my hands after applying sunscreen, has resulted in the knobs being fine.

When I work on reels with sticky knobs, I wash them with Dawn soap, and then dry them, before applying a line conditioner. I rub it into the rubber, and the stickiness is gone. The product I use is Blakemore Real Magic. Most BPS stores and Cabela's stock it.

Cheers

Terry.

Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

CapeFish

Zim, this is very interesting thanks re the line conditioner, I actually wonder if reel oil also does not cause it because I can't think I got much suntan lotion on mine if any.

Decker

Quote from: oc1 on August 01, 2019, 05:18:54 AM
I live in a mosquito-infested swamp and use bug spray almost every day.  I'm sure it's killing me, but the alternative is to never go outside.  My headlights are frosted too.  Woe is me.
-steve

Steve, your picture shows how far gone you are, in that you can barely keep your eyes open.  Maybe you just got some bug spray in them.  We're all glad that you are still brave enough to go outside, because no one tames the wild like you.   :)

oc1

I was smoking a lot of prescription medication that day Joe  :o
-steve

nelz

If y'all are getting bug spray and sunscreen on your knobs, then it's getting on your bait too, and you're scarin' away alot of fish!