Daiwa Saltiga Z40 - standard servicing

Started by redsetta, October 27, 2011, 11:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

exp2000

I just did one of these but could not find the schematics anywhere. Does anyone know where to find them?

Nice piece of kit but the drag washers in the one I did were questionable. The inside diameter was larger than the drive shaft so they could float around! Might have to take some measurements and knock up some correct ones.

Thanks for posting the rebuild Red. I would have been lost without the handle knob trick ;)
~

exp2000

1. Regarding chipped Dartanium drag washer.

OK. Assuming the stack I dealt with is standard, there was ONE washer which was a neat fit on the shaft. This one should be placed under the eared metal washer near the top of the stack as it cannot float like the others so will not be chipped by the bent ears.

2. Regarding the hair spring on the sliding pinion carriage.

I found that in the position illustrated in the pics that it would foul against the release mechanism and often dislodge during operation. The correct position is with the short arm seated in the reel body and the longer bent  arm seated in the sliding mechanism.

In this position, the spring stays clear of moving parts and does not foul during operation. Furthermore, it's form actually locks in place when the release lever is thrown showing it is designed for this position.

~

redsetta

Thanks exp - that's good advice re: the clutch spring.
You've a keen eye!
Luckily the owner hasn't had any issues with it, but it's definitely something I'll follow up on when I see him next.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

exp2000

Schematics courtesy Daiwa Australia:

Tailin strange

I know this thread is old but I just found it. I have an all blue Z40 thats super old but its been a tank. I cant figure out what the problem is that I'm having with it. I'm thinking its something to do with the anti reverse pawl pin maybe or something to do with the right side plate. The reels popping and slipping anti reverse under a load. I know parts for these are probably impossible to find. Does anyone have any ideas what this might be or if its a common thing with these over time. Are parts available for them at all? Any recommendations on who I could send the reel to have it looked at?
Thanks
Mickey

alantani

if the handle goes backwards, chances are that the anti-reverse roller bearing is bad.  you'll need the dimensions of the inside diameter, the height and the outside diameter (min/max).  these should be available on ebay. you also have an anti-reverse leave spring dog.  you will probably find it corroded in the open position.  clean it up, lube it, squeeze the leaves together a little and re-install it and you should be good!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

nelz

Quote from: Tailin strange on May 15, 2021, 06:56:01 AMI have an all blue Z40 thats super old but its been a tank.

I've never seen an all blue Z40, can we see a photo?

JDM reel perhaps?