Question - Short Blank Handle - Partial Thru-Blank

Started by sundancer, July 26, 2019, 01:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sundancer

Gentlemen...

Months ago, my Wife and I went into a 2nd Hand/Consignment Shop and came across a box of complete Rod Handles (Cork Rear and Fore Grip, light-duty Seat) (74 Cents apiece) where the Blank would be epoxied about 1.25 inches into it.

I bought a few, then a few more, then the Wife went back and picked up whatever was left.

I built a few Rods with these Handles, gave 2 to the Grandkids, etc.  I have been using 1 and love the whole setup.  Nice and light and fits the Croaker/small Flounder that I target after failed attempts at trolling.    ;)

As you might see, there is a metal tube as the spine.  It allows the Blank ~1.25 inches into it but I have drilled out that 'stop' and have epoxied the Blank ~3 inches in. 

Now.  I just got bought several short Blanks that would be perfect for these Handles.  Once these are gone, do 'they' make Handles ready for a Blank like these or do I have to put them together??  And if so, what is/where do I get the Tube?

As always, thank you for your help
Stay safe and tight lines
Steve

thorhammer

Steve,  check Mudhole, Netcraft,  and Anglers Workshop- they sell metal ferrules for two piece rods and may have the size you need, or just cut blank to fit and glue in if you don't care about two piece capability. neat handles tho.

John

sundancer

John

wrong rabbit-hole. 

do they make Handle Assemblies, like these, for when I use up what I have?? 

These Handles are the perfect answer to short Blanks when you can't afford to lose length.  (there's a joke in there someplace..  ;-)  )

Steve

oldmanjoe

You may find some thing simulator , need to find the outlet store for broken fishing rods    ebay
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

sundancer

LOLOL

Thought of that Joe.

actually saw, what i think is the same type of Handle on eBay for $25.00

But it was only for 1 and it is too much for my plans..

S

thorhammer

ahhh got it...

Back in the day, mainly to repair a broken rod, I'd use a piece of ski pole which can be had cheaply at junk stores to extend the butt on lighter rod blanks- in the 60's and 70's it was common practice to find aluminum tube under cork ring-gripped rods.... you could also use a piece of broken rod similarly, as above. at that point, use grips if you have them, but I did many this way and finished off with cork tape or cord (or now, shrink rubber) for grip material. worked great and cheaply. I am thinking you might have a stock of blanks you wish to use up in these applications?

John

sundancer

John

that's the direction I think i need..  I was hoping that I could get cheap 'premade' Handles but will probably have to go with your idea.

I have a couple of golf clubs that i was going to turn into gaffs..  I might measure'em up and try them..

Thanks
Steve

sundancer

(Prelim) UPDATE

Made a couple of (semi)random cutoffs on one of the 2 Golf Clubs that I got from the Salvation Army...

For my usage, looks like it will suit my needs almost 100%.  Won't need to shim the Reel Seat almost at all.  Seat meets the Club Handle almost exactly.  Rod Blank will slide inside, again with minimum shimming.  Thinking about using Shrink X-Wrap as the Fore Grip..

Should be a good light to medium light Casting/Spinning.

I was initially concerned about the inner diameter, but as I cut down to the larger diameter, it looks ok, 0.050" (1.5mm) wall near where the Seat will be and where the Blank will sit.

Thanks for your thoughts.  More to come as I continue to play around

Steve

thorhammer

x-shrink over cord or twine is THE most grippy grip i have used.

sundancer

Yeah I know. I've done that before.

because the golf club handle tapers down some I might have to take the cord out of the Paracord so that it matches the taper of the handle

Thanks for the suggestion though

S

sundancer

Sorry Gents

I thought I shared this..  here are a couple of pictures of the 'golf club' handle that i am trying..

this Rod is turning out nice enough that I might keep it and build 2 others the same way for the neighbors grandkids. 

secondary question please...

I am having trouble putting the last 2 guides on the top of the rod.  ring is small but the foot (double foot) where the 2 supports come together is a little wide and doesn't balance well as i wrap them on.  I am thinking of Snake Guides for the last 2 Guides. 

is there any trick or different Guide type for 0.1"/2.7mm and 0.08"/2.2mm diameter top area of Rod

Thanks
Steve

thorhammer

looks like that is a light action rod- so just wrap on a pair of single foot guides that are appropriate.

Re your golf club wrap- what you have there is basically a Winn wrap; Winn has been making wraps for tennis, golf, and baseball bats for years and started with fishing rod grips a couple years back, for ten bucks per roll, that work great.  Good work.

sundancer

Light action - yes...

Great for dink Flounder, Croaker, Black Sea Bass, or even Spadefish and pray that the lonely Skate, Dogfish, or Striper doesn't come by.   ;)

I will try the single foot.  Was staying away from them as i felt even a Snake Guide is less likely to be bent (kids remember) than a Single Foot. 

The 2 Wraps are Shrink (adhesive) Tubing over the leading edge of the X-Wrap..  This is a quick answer to sealing out the moisture.
Don't particularly like either but with fishing off a JetSki, it is like running the gear thru a carwash.  i have a couple of cheap trolling Reel (fleamarket finds) that I use just for that reason.  If the salt makes them unusable (or I drop them into the briny, which i have done with 2 Casting Outfits), it is no loss.

Thanks for the idea
Steve