Transom Transducer mount without drilling holes

Started by Gobi King, August 02, 2019, 12:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobi King

I bought the 3M 5952 VHB tape,
now that I think about it, I might used a different roll I had or amazon sent me the wrong roll  :o
I am pretty sure the # was 2x6x or something, oh well.

FYI: I got the idea of using the 3M tape from camper, trailer being built using this tape.
I was looking into building an expedition vehicle using my duramax chevy and I found a canadian outfit who builds the att fiberoptic camper shell they use in california. They use this tape too.

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

coralsea

no pain-no gain

Gobi King

The glue on product uses an epoxy and it requires some buffing of the paint plus one can never be sure how the grip is between the piece and boat transom.

I like the suction cup solution, I can take the cups off and use my 3m glue tape.

I can conclude that from my first install I overkilled it,

FYI: Next time I will use a 6x4 inch teak wood and stick that to the transom,
Fichigan

Benni3

I do paint and body work for years,,,,,3m double sided tape is good but I don't trust it with water,,,,,  ;) 3m panel bond is the way to go,,,,, :) yes you got to suff it up a little bit first,,,,but I would panel bond and drill holes that's what I did,,,,,, ;D

oc1

It's sort of nit-picky, but teak may not be the best choice if there are adhesives involved.  It has so much oil that things tend to come un-stuck.  Something like oak or hickory or maple might be better.
-steve

Gobi King

Benni, I had the same concern, the 3m tape I used was rated for exterior/water, but you are correct, I doubt it it is rated for water immersion. I need to look up the 3m panel bond, Danke!

Steve, yes, you are correct, I forgot which wood I used, a buddy in my spoonplugging club used a piece of pine and he fishes 500 plus hours  a year and his piece is still working, he has it clamped to the transom.

I applied poly to the surface in contact with 3m tape, to increase the bond strength but left the top unsealed so the wood can dry.

This is purely an experiment
$7 for piece of exotic wood and $8 for 3M tape, I have tape left over for couple of additional projects.

FYI: I tested the strength by trying to pull the wood out and hanging from it somewhat, the piece did flex a bit but did not come off.
Fichigan