Conventional (baitcaster) reel for light/medium saltwater use

Started by Decker, August 02, 2019, 04:11:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Decker

Fred, I'm on the verge of tears!  Let me think it over and get back to you.   I wouldn't want to abuse your generosity.  Thank you!

Steve, thanks for the breakdown.  The disengaging spool is a good point.  That's why I like my Sealine X30SHA so much.

PacRat

I love Ambassadeurs but I recommend you take the time to educate yourself on the various series before you buy. My memory is a little foggy on this but it seems like there are several drag configurations within a series. For the ocean I like a 6500 because of the line capacity. Remember these reels have very tiny brass gears (compared to a squidder). If you hook something large you may need the extra line capacity. Also the 6500 has a clicker if you're inclined to use one while using bait. There are also some handle upgrades available for relatively cheap.
Digressing to the drag system. There is one series that uses only two drag washers on either side of the main...you probably want to avoid this one. There is another with a stack more like what you're use to seeing in your Penns. I modified one of mine to this configuration but with what I know now I would just hold out for one with the better drag from the start. I've caught yellowtail and White Seabass on my 6500s and I was terrified that the gears would explode and the fish did get the better of me for quite some time before coming to gaf...but the Ambassadeur did survive to fight another day and it was a hell of a lot of fun. I did end up replacing it with a Lexa 300 but I still love my Ambassadeurs for Calico Bass, etc.
I'll post more if I can recall the upgrades I made. You will definitely want a better handle if you go with an Ambassadeur.
-Mike
p.s. I just saw what Fred posted while I was typing. I haven't been inside that one to make comments on it's innards but it is a southpaw. If I were you I would consider Fred's offer.

PacRat

RowdyW

I just picked up a Kastking Royale Legend conventional baitcaster with graphite frame for $37.00. For a little bit more they have it available with a aluminum frame. 7 to 1 ratio & duel brakeing (magnetic & manual). They say it is capable of 16#'s of drag.  I bought it from the supplier in N.Y. through ebay. A lot of lookalikes around so get it directly from Kastking if you are interested.  I'm going to try it out from the beach & jetties. They say it's for freshwater & saltwater. I haven't used a baitcaster this small in decades. I'm going to load it with 20# braid & try it out with spoons, soft baits, live & dead bait. Find a nice light graphite rod & the whole setup will probably weigh less then a can of beer.  :D  Available in righty or lefty.      Rudy

Lunker Larry

Quote from: oc1 on August 02, 2019, 06:01:30 PM

Kastking has a low profile reel with all (or at least most) of the bells and whistles that can be bought NIB for about forty bucks.  

-steve

I've had 2 of the Kastking reels in with broken frames. Good for bass but don't seem to stand up to the bigger baits and abuse of muskie fishers.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

nelz

Quote from: Lunker Larry on August 02, 2019, 06:35:11 PMI've had 2 of the Kastking reels in with broken frames. Good for bass but don't seem to stand up to the bigger baits and abuse of muskie fishers.

Really, which models? Were they graphite frames? The one I was suggesting is the Rover which is an Ambassadeur knock-off.

nelz

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Decker

Mike, thanks for the tips about the Abu drags and handles.  

Rudy, I didn't imagine that you would ever wet a line within a mile of shore :)  Look forward to hearing how you like the KastKing.  

Thanks for all the input, guys!

And Fred, you're the best!

mo65

Way ta go Fred! That reel couldn't possibly go to a better guy than Joe...enjoy it buddy! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

steelfish

yay !! nice move Fred

that reel is solid as rock, I have the same model on sizes 7000c and 6600c
waaay better than gettin' those abu garcia ambassadeur made specially for wmalt.

Joe, if you take care of the reel it will outlast you easily.

The Baja Guy

Decker

Bill B

Fred YOU ROCK !     Joe if you do not take Fred up on his offer, take a look at the TICA brand reels.  I used the Caiman model jigging for King Salmon in Sacramento.  Good cast control, good level wind, aluminum body, decent drags (a CF upgrade might improve them though).  I used 20 lb mono on a 8'6" downrigger rod.  This combo casts very well.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Lunker Larry

Quote from: nelz on August 02, 2019, 06:39:43 PM
Quote from: Lunker Larry on August 02, 2019, 06:35:11 PMI've had 2 of the Kastking reels in with broken frames. Good for bass but don't seem to stand up to the bigger baits and abuse of muskie fishers.

Really, which models? Were they graphite frames? The one I was suggesting is the Rover which is an Ambassadeur knock-off.

Sorry but don't know the model. It was a black low profile reel.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

mo65

Quote from: Lunker Larry on August 03, 2019, 01:48:54 PM
Quote from: nelz on August 02, 2019, 06:39:43 PM
Sorry but don't know the model. It was a black low profile reel.

KastKing makes a wide variety of low profile casters...from the $150 aluminum framed Bassinator Elite down to the lowly $32 graphite framed Brutus. The Brutus is black. I would think if I selected a KastKing for muskie fishing I'd go with the Rover round reel Nelz mentioned.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~