Makaira 10ii Reassembly

Started by patfish01, August 03, 2019, 07:21:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

patfish01

After a general cleaning of my Makaira 10 the reassembly went fine until I reinstalled the right side plate assembly. The drag lever was in the free position, but before I attempted to install the drag knob assembly the spool would turn when the handle was turned, but you had reasonable freespool. However, after installing the drag knob assembly-- even to a very light drag setting freespool went to almost zero. I have checked and rechecked the schematic, and checked and rechecked Alan's tutorial on the MK-8 and everything seems in order. Any ideas on how to regain the freespool?? Thank in advance

alantani

This is going to be painfully unhelpful,  but there is some part along the spool shaft that is out of place,  out order or not properly oriented.  It's there. Just gotta go back and find it.....  :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

patfish01

Thanks Alan. I did drop the bellville washers that sit behind the right spool bearing. If you know the correct orientation I would appreciate it, but there are only 4 and I have tried every combination I can think of. Also, the flat washer that shows on the schematic between the bellvilles and the right spool bearing is missing, but it was missing when the reel worked really well. Go figure. Regards, Patrick

alantani

I think it's left, left, right,  right.

patfish01

alantani

patfish01

Alan, painfully, I never did figure out anything along the spool shaft despite 10 or 15 tries and very close analysis of the schematic. I finally sent it off to Okuma. Just got it back, took it apart, and put it back together-- no problems. I did find out the correct orientation for the belleville behind the right spool bearing. ()(). Thanks for all of you help. Regards, Patrick

alantani

gary760

I have exactly the same problem after disassembly and servicing of my makaira 16SeA - next to no freespool at very light drag settings, strangely freespool returns with about 10- 15 llb at strike then disappears at anything over this. Would love to know what okuma did to solve the problem with your reel.