Slosh handles and drag star?

Started by kahawai, August 05, 2019, 02:28:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kahawai

Hi, I'm new to the board. First post here.
I have a slosh that I'd like to fit an offset/swept handle on.  However the drag star is so large that I can't find a handle that won't knock into it. Question-
- does anyone know of a smaller star that would fit the slosh?
Thanks!

nelz

Welcome Kahawai.

If the star is aluminum, it's pretty easy to just bend the arms slightly, so they don't hit the handle. Just do it nice and easy and try to get it right the first time without bending it backwards again, or you run the risk of breaking it eventually. I've done it on a couple of reels, it works.

Hamachi

These stars are graphite so I guess you could cut them. Or get a longer handle arm. Newer arms and saltist arms would fit.
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!

kahawai

Quote from: nelz on August 11, 2019, 04:47:47 PM
Welcome Kahawai.

If the star is aluminum, it's pretty easy to just bend the arms slightly, so they don't hit the handle. Just do it nice and easy and try to get it right the first time without bending it backwards again, or you run the risk of breaking it eventually. I've done it on a couple of reels, it works.

Bend them! Mine is aluminium so I'll try bending it.
Thanks!

Hamachi

My bad. Most of the ones I see are plastic molded to metal threads. Glad you got it sorted. Is it an older 20  or is it the newer ones that are alloy?

kahawai

I think it's some metal. It's an old slosh.

SoCalAngler

If I remember right the older SLSH's had a metal star. Here is a pic of my SL20SH that I did the frame and a handle upgrade to. This reel came with the metal star.

I don't have a pic of the reel by it's self. Avet SX on top and modded SL20SH on bottom.

Hamachi

No biggie, just clip them off with a pair of dykes and file them smooth.

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Hamachi on August 13, 2019, 07:09:08 PM

Really? Kinda sounds cheese to me. Other handle arms fit without screwing up the star. I think the Shimano Torium's are a direct swap and even the BG series from Diawa may be a strait swap also. There was a thread change from the SLSH's and the BG's so if your going to try this call Diawa first to see if they will fit.

kahawai

Thanks for the suggestions . I looked at it and don't think Ill be able to bend or clip it  nicely without doing some sort of damage. I will try to look for someone who has the other reels mentioned to try out their drag stars.

Hamachi

Quote from: SoCalAngler on August 15, 2019, 01:08:49 AM

Really? Kinda sounds cheese to me. Other handle arms fit without screwing up the star. I think the Shimano Torium's are a direct swap and even the BG series from Diawa may be a strait swap also. There was a thread change from the SLSH's and the BG's so if your going to try this call Diawa first to see if they will fit.
Yeah, but if you read op's question, he has a handle and was looking for a smaller star solution. I know, I thought it was a crazy request also but that's what he asked. He didn't want a different handle.

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Hamachi on August 21, 2019, 09:40:30 PM
Quote from: SoCalAngler on August 15, 2019, 01:08:49 AM

Yeah, but if you read op's question, he has a handle and was looking for a smaller star solution. I know, I thought it was a crazy request also but that's what he asked. He didn't want a different handle.

I don't remember the price but somewhere in like the $12-$15 range you get a off set handle with knob that fits the star. I understand cutting the star was not your first choice, but I still think that is the last solution.

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Hamachi on August 11, 2019, 08:02:46 PM
These stars are graphite so I guess you could cut them. Or get a longer handle arm. Newer arms and saltist arms would fit.

You could make the handle nut cover fit on that arm with a very simple mod to the plastic cover. The same I did to the Tib arm in my pic.